FrankLettera

Gasoline Generator Fuel Stability

I read in the January 2014 FMC magazine that we should run the generator for at least 30 to 45 minutes each month! This I understand dries out any moisture that may form, lubricates the engine, removes stale fuel from fuel lines and carburetor etc. etc.

The article also said that a fuel preservative, such as a product called Sta-Bil should be added to the fuel so as to not let the fuel deteriorate or develop gummy fuel lines.

I own a 2006 Holiday Rambler class A 36 ft. gasser with a 454 ( chevy) engine. I bought it new in 2006, and have over 50,000 miles on the engine, I'm able park it at the side of my home and also I'm able change the oil and filters in both the R.V. engine and the Onan 5500 Marque generator every 3500 miles!

I mention this only because in the article it mentioned the use of Sta-Bil !! I have never used this product! What I do use is a product called Marvel Mystery Oil. My R.V. has a 75 gallon gas tank, and every 2nd or 3rd fill-up I pour in a quart of m. m. o.

Attached to the inside of the chassis there is a fuel filter that has two out-flow lines, one goes to the r.v. engine and the other goes to the generator.

I go out every month for six to ten days at a time, and go to campsites that are 50 or more miles away from home. I turn on my generator and then the front roof a/c to give me the 1/2 load needed. Getting to any of the campgrounds usually takes an hour or more travel time.

I am very satisfied with using the Marvel Mystery Oil, for almost eight years, and I wonder if anyone else has used it. I would really like to know if anyone has used it and what they think about it. I certainly think that it has done alright with my engine etc. etc. :D Frank L

Frank,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

From your information, it sounds like your Coach and generator engines get a good work out on a regular bases. So you do not need to worry about a stale gas issue.

Regarding MMO. I have used it in the Gas powered equipment that I own and for the Engines on the small equipment we own.

It is a product that has been around for years as a top cylinder lubricant and a number if aircraft owners use it in there engines.

The mix ratio is generally 1 to 2 oz. per gallon.

Frank, is your engine a 454 or the 8.1 L ?

Rich.

I'm 69 years young, my dad used m.m.o. when I was a very young lad, and he swore by it. As a top cylinder lubricant, it is great stuff. The reason for sta-bil, is to help increase the life of the crappy gas that the government has mandated on us. Ethanol, is nothing but grain alchohol, 10 percent is the normal amount added by the refiner.

You should note that grain alcohol is made from water with grain going through a fermentation process. This additive has a trend to evaporate from the gas when it sits for a long period of time, and leave behind a gummy residue that will gum up the fuel system. Basically what I am saying is, if you don't let your equipment sit for long period of time, you should be fine without the fuel stabilizer.

I always buy non ethanol gas and add the sta-bil to it, for my small engines, lawnmowers, portable generators, and others.

Happy trails,

Kay

I have been using Sta-Bil since the middle 50's for treating fuel that will be stored. 1 oz per gallon for 1 year storage works well. After the fuel is treated and mixed thoroughly you must run the engine to insure the treated fuel is in the complete fuel system. I have winterized thousands of outboard motors when I worked in the Northwest.

Amsoil makes a similar product, simply called "Gas Stabilizer" that we have used for at least a decade. I also put it in the lawn mower gas can each time I fill up, and in my motorcycle with the final tank of the season.

In case you haven't stabilized your gas, Amsoil also makes an amazing product called "Quick Shot" that you have to try it to believe how well it works. My 650 cc motorcycle was unused for almost 3 months without stabilizer and just would not run. I added 3 oz to the tank, sloshed it around and within a minute the engine was running normal again. It was like magic!

Our portable generator was running poorly after being loaned to someone who probably put cheap gas in it (yes, there is a difference in top tier fuels and the bargain stuff). A dose of Quickshot got it running smoothly again.

Most everyone is aware that ethanol gas is especially bad for storage reasons. It absorbs water, which then sinks to the bottom of the tank. That's how "varnish" forms and gums up stuff. For you statistics guys, I just pulled this fragment of info off the Amsoil website about using Quickshot with 10% ethanol gas: "...oxidation stability improved 44 percent over untreated fuel."

With the corn syrup that is added to our gasoline (Ethanol) I use stabilizer (there are many brands) all the time and I throw in a quart of Lucas Injector Cleaner for 75 gallon tank about every 4th tank of fuel. That way when I run the Gen Set and the Chassis Motor I get good gasoline and also help get rid of the gum from the Ethanol. You can never completely remove all the objectionable material that Ethanol causes but this helps. Even after all that I do to prevent Ethanol problems I still had to replace the carburetor on my Gen Set last year at a cost of almost $400. Thank you Mr. Government for making me use Ethanol.

As a matter of information, the EPA currently is taking comments on getting rid of the Ethanol from our Gasoline. I would consider that a blessing since I spend so much trying to prevent failure caused by Ethanol in all my motors. I ask that you all please find a way to comment to the EPA or you may be putting up with 15% Ethanol instead of the 10% we have now. It would certainly be a blessing just to get rid of the stuff for good, so please comment.

Here is a website that talks about what is happening: http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140130/NEWS/301300045/Comments-pour-EPA-about-ethanol-production

Go to this web site to comment on Ethanol and tell them to remove it from our gasoline: http://smarterfuelfuture.org/take-action

If you search for all comments on this subject you will find that a lot of people are making an lot of money from our misery and at our expense.