peanutandskippy2

Soot On Drapes From Aqua Hot?

I have a 2005 Beaver with the Aqua Hot furnace. The drapes and blinds get a coating of soot like dust. Wiping the windows gets a black soot like material. Is the Aqua Hot suspect? There is no visible soot coming from the exhaust pipe. Any thoughts and has anyone else had this problem?

Never seen or heard of such a thing. If there was a exhaust leak you would 100% smell it as you know diesel stinks. The only other soot you get is from the exhaust pipe if the injection nozzle is poor or air/fuel set wrong but this would never ever make your blinds and windows dirty.

I agree with ticat900.

The combustion is not and can not be connected to the interior. The boiler is heated with 120 VAC or diesel. The how coolant is then circulated. It is only the coolant that reaches the interior of the coach.

For the Aqua Hot to be the source, you would have to have a way for the exhaust to rise up from below basement level and be sucked into the interior-- can't see that happening.

You may have an engine exhaust leak. Check the engine access in the bedroom. If the seams have discoloration, that is where your soot may becoming from.

I have a 2005 Beaver with the Aqua Hot furnace. The drapes and blinds get a coating of soot like dust. Wiping the windows gets a black soot like material. Is the Aqua Hot suspect? There is no visible soot coming from the exhaust pipe. Any thoughts and has anyone else had this problem?

Welcome to the club. One shortcoming suffered by certain Beavers is that the lowest point in the tail is the exhaust duct. Look at yours with a bright light, and you'll probably immediately spot the problem. Or, you can put your hand near the duct and adjacent joints with the engine running (taking appropriate precautions). Only after determining where the leak is, look at the hatch seals. You might also want to tighten the arms. For style points, take them to your shop and clean everything, apply dressing to the rubber, and apply new stainless tape as necessary. It's a good chance to steam/solvent clean the engine and apply anti-rust paint to the metal framework.

A trick for gaging the smoke output of the Aqua Hot is to stretch a clean paper towel over the end for ten seconds while holding your breath.

The result should be a faint gray circle, if any at all. If it is dark and you've done the required service, simply loosen the set screw on the intake cuff and reset a half-inch counterclockwise, test with a clean towel (I label the towels, to keep track of the results). If that doesn't help, return to the start point and try the same increment clockwise. Verify success by trying an inch either way, pick what is best for your elevation. This comes from the tech support people at http://www.aquahot.com/ We had two buses that smoked in the 'hood, one with white vapor, the other with black. After servicing the units, we used this method and made both exhausts virtually invisible. 'Makes a huge difference in the field, in certain wind conditions! My neighbor, whose Prevost's Aqua Hot blew a thick cloud of white, is tickled to death. Who knows what his dealer's shop might've charged for the service (his cost totaled about $45, the price of a new nozzle and fresh filter, shipping).

From Granbury, just a few miles south of Ernie!!

Well for sure the AH did not cause this soot problem and I doubt a rear exhaust leak did either. If you had exhaust that was so bad that it sooted all your drapes and blinds you would be gagging from diesel fumes.

Peanut and skippy2, from reading the replies on your soot issue:

The soot has to be coming from some source. The key is to find out where its coming from.

Do you notice the build up of soot while parked in a location over a period of time? or after you have been on the road for a time?

The heating system burner exhaust should be totally isolated from the interior of the coach and the engine exhaust should also be isolated from the interior.

The key is to isolate the source of the soot and then find the point / location of the soot intrusion.

Now, I have to think that the furnace burner being an issue would be noticeable when you are parked.

Do you run the furnace while on the road?

Pressure differences caused as the coach travels down the road, for the most part; are high pressure on the front and lower pressure at different points as the air flows past the coach. The back of the coach is by default the lowest pressure point.

Eddy currents can form at any point and vary continuously, so ANY point where seals maybe compromised can be a point of unwanted intrusion.

That being the case, how about having your coach Pressure / Vacuum tested at a reliable service center with the proper equipment to fine any leaks.

I have a feeling that you have some in areas that allow soot intrusion to kind of puff its way in / not a continuous intrusion.

Kind of sneaking in unnoticed and the doghouse seals do not get the attention they should. Kind of out of sight out of mind.

Rich.

If you drive with a window open, the negative pressure from inside your coach will bring in exhaust.

Ernie- posting from Weatherford- just north of Andy in Granbury

IF you were bringing in diesel exhaust to the extent that it left soot on all the drapes and blinds it would have asphyxiate you so I don't see that as a viable answer-- plus it would stink the high heaven.

Do you cook inside your coach? If so this may contribute to the oil and soot in side depending on the amount of ventilation you use. Open windows and run vent fans on high may help. Frying at a high Temp may contribute more oils and soot to the inside air. Take a look and this and see if it is part of your problem.