brandta

Flat Tow 2014 Jeep Wrangler

We have a new Jeep Wrangler and are flat towing it. Despite the salesman's assurances, we discovered (the hard way) that two days of towing will deplete the car's battery (Jeep manual says to disconnect the battery ground.)

Now here are my issues:

1. We are using an auxillary brake (Blue Ox Patriot) that requires battery power. If I disconnect the Jeep battery I will need to do an end run around the disconnect for the brake power.

2. Does disconnecting the battery impact the circuits for running the lights? My ground from the coach is connected to the battery ground on the Jeep.

3. I can add a charge circuit from the coach to the Jeep although most kits don't include the wire/connector for the charge line and if it were to fail I wouldn't know I wasn't charging the battery.

4. Anything I haven't thought of yet?

Any experiences/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Brandt

Did you have the ignition off and the key in your pocket? We towed a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon for multiple days many times with no battery issues!

Unless they have made a major change from 2012, there is no steering lock on the late model Wrangers. They dropped the lock in 2010. My 2012 had no lock, and my current Grand Cherokee has no lock. If you left the key on Accessory, that is why the battery drained. It has been posted on more than one forum that the owner's manual is just plain incorrect in this regard. If you download the latest version of the 2014 Wangler Users Guide and go to the section on flat towing, you will find no mention of leaving the key in or disconnecting the battery. (I just did, Page 93) Go out and turn the wheel with the key in your pocket and see if I am wrong!

Our 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has no steering wheel lock nor have we every had a battery discharged. We have towed almost 10,000 miles this year during a trip to Alaska and now down to Florida. Shift transmission or transfer case to neutral, put the key in your pocket after locking the door. It is a wonderful vehicle to tow behind any capable motorhome.

drj07,

I tow a 2005 Wrangler automatic and a 2014 Wrangler automatic. Both manuals are very specific about the transmission being in Park and the transfer case in Neutral. If you're towing with the automatic tranny in neutral and the transfer case in gear, you're possibly doing damage.

We tow 2011 Wrangler Rubicon ..There is no lock on steering wheel either!! We make sure tranny is in park(auto trans)and transfer case is in neutral,key in pocket, and your ready to go..Toooo easy!

drj07,

I tow a 2005 Wrangler automatic and a 2014 Wrangler automatic. Both manuals are very specific about the transmission being in Park and the transfer case in Neutral. If you're towing with the automatic tranny in neutral and the transfer case in gear, you're possibly doing damage.

x2 on 2014

Great information! I am new to RVing and just joined FMCA. I also just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and am in the process of gathering information on how to tow it. I will most likely have to buy my tow bar, brakes and lights bit by bit. Any information or suggestions on how and what to purchase to get started would be greatly appreciated! I was pretty shocked at the cost the RV dealerships have quoted me to have it all done at once.

Thanks,

Carol

2008 Winnebago Aspect

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Great information! I am new to RVing and just joined FMCA. I also just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and am in the process of gathering information on how to tow it. I will most likely have to buy my tow bar, brakes and lights bit by bit. Any information or suggestions on how and what to purchase to get started would be greatly appreciated! I was pretty shocked at the cost the RV dealerships have quoted me to have it all done at once.

Thanks,

Carol

2008 Winnebago Aspect

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

If you get a NSA ReadyBrute Elite tow bar you will also get toad brake system included. You can research the ReadyBrute and find many happy users. I went with Blue Ox base plates due to quality company and install was easier than Roadmaster. For lights I went with CoolTech which is easy install and priced reasonable. You can Google to find vendors and pricing. I think you will find this system much less than MH dealer.

Bought a 2014 Rubicon JKU 6 weeks ago. Used Cool Tech harness and was very impressed with ease of installation and quality of the harness. Would buy again.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_tow_harness_kit.shtml

Used Blueox base plate, easy to install yourself. Took about an hour with common hand tools.

Bought it on Amazon for $358.00 free shipping.

Enjoy!

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler (soft top). I have towed it several times behind our 2011 Thor.

My question is since I am new to towing a Jeep Wrangler--can you tow it behind your motor home with the top down and stored in the bag.

Sometimes it has been very windy when we were traveling and we either stopped for a few hours so slowed down to 50mph because the wind seemed to blow the jeep all over the road.

Pixie,

Welcome to the Forum.

Towed a Wrangler with soft top in the past.On the way home, looked in the mirror and the shreads of the top were flapping all over the place. Bought another soft top and then a hard top.

If there is one little flap or crack in the fabric the top will desnigrate. Save your top, put it down and really secure it. Even down is can still catch the wind.

Got different coach and traded up to a Yukon 4x4 to tow. Now we tow a 4x4 Silverado.

Again Welcome and Happy Rving.

Herman

We have towed our 2005 Wrangler with an after market soft top approximately 4000 miles in rain, sleet, snow and desert heat without any issues. Personally, I would never tow my Jeep with the top down. For one thing, when you use the roof air(s) on the motorhome the condensate (water) that comes from the air conditioner blows directly on to the Jeep or in to the Jeep if there is no top on it. I can't recall ever seeing a Jeep other than a hunting Jeep towed with the top off.

This is a great thread...

We just purchased a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery with a 10,000 lb towing capacity. And after spending $2000+ on a full Blue Ox Tow system for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, I have been worrying about towing with the Soft Top.

From the thread, there seems to be mix experiences... maybe aftermarket soft top holds up better?

Thanks Ken

Ken,

What would be the difference to the top if its being towed behind a motorhome at 70 mph or driven at 70 mph? Jeeps with soft tops are delivered from the factory either by rail car or auto transport with the tops on. In actuality, my 2006 Jeep is close enough to the rear of my motorhome that it takes less wind abuse than when driving. I would never consider towing my 2014 JKU with the hardtop removed since I would like to keep the interior intact. If you plan to use your Jeep as a rock crawler or mudder and don't care if the interior gets destroyed, I guess its doesn't much matter.

I'm only giving my experience and others may be different.

Jim, great points and it makes sense.. Just purchased a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40G and the forums have been great.

post-45093-0-12092000-1434153716_thumb.j

post-45093-0-43009200-1434153735_thumb.j

post-45093-0-67307100-1434153747_thumb.j

We tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, key off, doors locked and key in the coach. We plug the RVI brake into the center console/arm rest 12V outlet, it stays hot with the key off.

We also HIGHLY recommend Mopar's Tow Vehicle Wiring Harness made for the Wrangler. We had the dealer install it and its covered under the Jeep's factory warranty. Its turns the Jeep into a trailer (as related to lights). Its was $170+1.5 hours labor. It plugs into the Jeeps wiring harness and uses the OEM lights as trailer lights.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82211156AB

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler (soft top). I have towed it several times behind our 2011 Thor.

My question is since I am new to towing a Jeep Wrangler--can you tow it behind your motor home with the top down and stored in the bag.

Sometimes it has been very windy when we were traveling and we either stopped for a few hours so slowed down to 50mph because the wind seemed to blow the jeep all over the road.

After reading all of the responses to your post, I felt I needed to tell you about our experiences with towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. Our Jeep is the 2-door Sport edition. We have the Original Soft Top on the Jeep and we tow it with the top "up".

We have towed it over 25,000 miles. Up and down the East Coast (Florida to Maine), North Carolina to Arizona via Louisiana (I-10) as well as North Carolina to Arizona via I-20/I-40. We have driven in all sorts of weather but have avoided SNOW. :P

We have towed it in very windy conditions where we felt the RV moving but NOT the Jeep. We hardly know that the Jeep is behind us!

The first RV we towed it with was a 2010 Coachmen Freelander (25 feet long) and now tow it behind a 2014 Thor Chateau (28 feet long). The Towing System we use is the RoadMaster Invisibrake---all we have to do is hook up the towbars and the cables and off we go. Our Jeep not an automatic but a "standard" transmission.

I would not tow the Jeep with the top down for two reasons: Unforeseen weather (rain or sand storms) and we carry our small cooler in the back of the Jeep (wouldn't want to lose the cooler!). :)

No issues here either, I just replaced the top this year, not from towing....it was 12 years old and the zippers were breaking.

post-39881-0-76913600-1436553738_thumb.j