Sign in to follow this  
gealfa

FORD F53 V 10 LATER MODELS 2010-2014

I have a 2012 F53 V10 under a Tiffin motorhome-- Allegro 35 qba. My chassis is 22000lb.

I seem to only get 6-6.5 mpg traveling from the midwest to Florida via I 75.

I travel 62-65 mph.

What are other mpg numbers people are getting?

You should gain almost 1 mpg by slowing down to 55-60 mph. I believe if you want more than that you would have to go diesel. I have a 32 ft diesel and tow a Silverado 1500 and get between 10 and 11 mpg driving at 57-59 mph.

I have a 2006 Damon 32ft. I get between 7.5 and 8.5, but so far haven't towed anything, I have a small M/C on a rack that I use for transportation. As someone said, slowing down would increase the mpgs, but with this Ford V-10 and transmission, if you slow down under the 62-64mph, it downshifts out of O/D and would hurt your mpgs more than not help it.

Sometimes traveling in a lower gear will give better mpg, depends on the terrain. That can be verified by instant mpg reading on a Scan Gauge or similar devise such as Read Relay 5. I always adjust my speed by viewing my Road Relay.

I usually run 62 mph and get anywhere from 5.5 to 7.8 mpg, depends on head winds, tailwinds and terrain...I tow a Jeep Wrangler.

Gealfa,

Welcome to the forum.

The biggest problem is Motor homes keep getting bigger and heavier. You will hear of people getting better mileage but they may have a lighter coach. You didn’t say how many miles you have on your coach. Your mileage may increase after you get a little mileage on it. There are only so many things you can do to improve mileage. You probably already know most of them.

Here are a couple of things you can look at: Others have added a controller for the transmission so it stays in OD longer and doesn’t hunt for gears on rolling hills or slight inclines. Add an intake like the one from Banks possibly an exhaust up grade to. I would run Mobil1 0-20 or 5-20 synthetic oil. The 0-20 could give up to 2% improvement in mileage. You will get more suggestions I am sure.

Bill

We have a 2011 30 ft. Bounder Classic and tow a Nissan Frontier that weights 4500lbs. We opted for a smaller MH in hopes that our mileage would be better than the larger ones that have the F53 chassis.

We did get 7.1 mpg on our last trip but it does vary from 5.5 to 7.5 mpg.

Like you say, it depends on head winds and highway speed.

We cruise at about 60-65mpg.

I think the gas mileage in addition to your speed and weight has a lot to do with aerodynamics of your motorhome.

For example. I owned a 2000 Damon Intruder 36ft for 12 years and put over 85,000 miles on it. I averaged 7.6 mpg overall.

It was loaded to the hilt and I pulled a Suzuki Grand Vateria behind it. Last year I traded for a 2007 motorhome (33ft)

hoping I would get at least the same mileage. The new one is shorter and lighter,a little taller, but the front and rear cap is not as rounded

and aerodynamic as the Intruder was. I now get 6 to 7 mpg and still travel at a top speed of 60mph.

My driving habits have not changed, the V10 is newer, has a higher horsepower and in talking to other

owners with larger motorhomes some of which get much better mileage than I do ( and some worse) I think

a lot has to do with the aerodynamics of your coach.