majorberry

Perry 2014 Enroute Sites To Visit

Question

Departing Houston on March 1, enroute to Perry FMCA rally. Want to drive most southern route going east but not through New Orleans. After Rally continue to South Carolina and then start heading home on a more northern route with a stop in Memphis. We plan to visit coastal areas going east and up to Charleston before making U-turn taking the more northern return route. Expect trip to last no more than 6 weeks.

Would like to hear about interesting places to tour/visit throughout the trip that others have experience with? As for campgrounds we stay at PA campgrounds when available. Any roads to steer away from?

Thanks

20 answers to this question

When you leave Perry, if you like historic places, I recommend that you go east to Savanah Ga., and Tybee Island. That will put you on the Atlantic ocean, and lots of historic sites, as well as a fun place to stay. I like to stay at Rivers end campground on Tybee. Nice campground with very nice people running it. Fort Pulaski, is a must see, if you like history, and Civil

war momento's. Its about 170 miles from Perry.

Have a good trip,

Kay

When you leave Perry, if you like historic places, I recommend that you go east to Savanah Ga., and Tybee Island. That will put you on the Atlantic ocean, and lots of historic sites, as well as a fun place to stay. I like to stay at Rivers end campground on Tybee. Nice campground with very nice people running it. Fort Pulaski, is a must see, if you like history, and Civil

war momento's. Its about 170 miles from Perry.

Have a good trip,

Kay

We have Savanah on the list to visit. Will look into Tybee Island and see what information I can find. We are also going to put Ft. Pulaski on the list. Thanks for the tips.

Tybee is like going from one suburb of the same city to another suburb of the same city. Fort Pulsaki is right on that border. I don't know your age, but if you or any member of your family that will be traveling with you, is 62 +, I suggest that you they should look into getting a senior pass from the National park service. It cost $10.00 and is good for the rest of the holders life. Pulaski is one of those national parks, which means that the holder of pass and all in their party enter free. It also entitles half price camping in any national campground, army corp of engineers parks are also included. I always drop a donation when using this service although it is not required. Just a tidbit of info that I have not noticed on the forum before.

Happy trails,

Kay

Tybee is like going from one suburb of the same city to another suburb of the same city. Fort Pulsaki is right on that border. I don't know your age, but if you or any member of your family that will be traveling with you, is 62 +, I suggest that you they should look into getting a senior pass from the National park service. It cost $10.00 and is good for the rest of the holders life. Pulaski is one of those national parks, which means that the holder of pass and all in their party enter free. It also entitles half price camping in any national campground, army corp of engineers parks are also included. I always drop a donation when using this service although it is not required. Just a tidbit of info that I have not noticed on the forum before.

Happy trails,

Kay

FYI, it is called "GOLDEN AGE PASSPORT". Good Luck and enjoy the Rally.

Herman

Yes, I have one and it is a great money saver. We are planning stops around Gulf Shores, Biloxi, Pensacola, Ft. Walton, Ft. Benning(Columbus), Perry, Savanah, Charleston, and Memphis. Hopefully if we are missing any important stops someone will make a suggestion of a stop not to be missed. We are just trying not to drive past a great place to visit.

Just read on Roadtrekingmike Blog about Camp Sumter which was a prisoner of war site holding up to 45,000 Union soilders during Civil War. Now has the National Prisoner of War museum. This is at Andersonville, Ga. Sounds like a good stop.

Yep, goldenage passport are no longer being issued, they are still honored, new issues are senior pass.

Not being derogatory, just things change.

Kay

No H Mullins, you will not "be replaced" LOL... you'll just get another plastic card full of red flowers, like my husband got!

LOL

Jocelynn and Quico Power

If you are in Savannah, be sure to go to Bonaventure Cemetery. Yes, it is a real cemetery and a tourist attraction. It is absolutely beautiful and very interesting. Do not miss touring Mercer House.

Since you are so close pop up to Charleston, S.C. History and architecture are worth it. On the weekend, you can visit the Hunley, the Civil War submarine. You are in the room with it right in front of you (not behind a piece of glass). Tours are given by retired Navy with a wealth of knowledge. This is one of the most fascinating pieces of history I have ever seen. Fort Sumter, a few planations, and an aircraft carrier are some worthwhile things to see.

We like to stay at Skidaway Island Park, a Georgia State Park, in Savannah. Campsites are huge and most are pull-throughs. They also have some full-hookups now. If you are a senior when you check in you can get a senior discount. This is a beautiful park. on an island that has several high-end gated communities. It's only a 15-20 minute drive into to town.

I 2nd the recommendation on seeing the Hunley while visiting Charleston. It is a working laboratory so they only open it to the public on weekends. You might want to make reservations. We didn't have them and still got in but had to line up behind the ones that were on the list. We've stayed at Oak Plantation in Charleston several times; it's a huge park. James Island park, a county park, is beautiful but we've never been able to get a reservation there.

Beaufort, SC is a beautiful small historic town that you can drive to from Charleston or Savannah.

Enjoy your travels!

If you are in Savannah, be sure to go to Bonaventure Cemetery. Yes, it is a real cemetery and a tourist attraction. It is absolutely beautiful and very interesting. Do not miss touring Mercer House.

Since you are so close pop up to Charleston, S.C. History and architecture are worth it. On the weekend, you can visit the Hunley, the Civil War submarine. You are in the room with it right in front of you (not behind a piece of glass). Tours are given by retired Navy with a wealth of knowledge. This is one of the most fascinating pieces of history I have ever seen. Fort Sumter, a few planations, and an aircraft carrier are some worthwhile things to see.

We like to stay at Skidaway Island Park, a Georgia State Park, in Savannah. Campsites are huge and most are pull-throughs. They also have some full-hookups now. If you are a senior when you check in you can get a senior discount. This is a beautiful park. on an island that has several high-end gated communities. It's only a 15-20 minute drive into to town.

I 2nd the recommendation on seeing the Hunley while visiting Charleston. It is a working laboratory so they only open it to the public on weekends. You might want to make reservations. We didn't have them and still got in but had to line up behind the ones that were on the list. We've stayed at Oak Plantation in Charleston several times; it's a huge park. James Island park, a county park, is beautiful but we've never been able to get a reservation there.

Beaufort, SC is a beautiful small historic town that you can drive to from Charleston or Savannah.

Enjoy your travels!

Thanks for the tip on the cemetery as have not heard of it. Hope to visit the Mercer House. Was not aware of the Hunley being on display and we will make it a must see. Have been looking into campgrounds in the areas and will pay more attention to the two each of you have listed. Just last night was reading about Beaufort and now get a recommendation so it will move up the list of places to visit. We are expecting these two cities to be the highlight of the entire trip. Our research indicates these cities will test our ability to get to most of the history sites in our time allowed before heading back west. We have never been to these areas and are so looking forward to seeing where much American history has happened. Have visited New England history sites but never these southern history sites.

Yes, Oak Plantation in Charleston is a large beautiful campground. Sites are very big and the dog run is a huge fenced in area. My dog had a ball chasing all the dragonflies (July). I enjoyed just walking around the campground. The staff was wonderful. In Savannah, I stayed at Red Gate. Beautiful grounds to walk around on. Sites are large. My cavalier loved visiting the horses in the fenced pasture in the middle of the campground.

Enjoy your trip.

A few ideas for your trip...

• If you've never been there before (or even if you have), a stop at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is very worthwhile. I've been there several times, mostly recently just a couple weeks ago, and it's inspiring. My dad was a WWII Navy pilot so I'm a little biased, but even still I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
  • Enterprise, AL, might be on the way. It has, of course, the world famous statue of a boll weevil, so far as I know the only place on earth that has a statue dedicated to a pest. Anyway ... I mention it not for that but because the Museum of Army Aviation at Fort Rucker might be an interesting stop for you. Again, we have a family connection (my son is an Army helicopter pilot), but I think it would be interesting to normal people as well.
  • Albany, Georgia, might make a nice stop en route, and there's an amazing campground there called "The Parks at Chehaw." (It used to be a state park, but I think it's now privately owned.) It's got a zoo, canoe trips, nature trails, a BMX bicycle course (if you're bringing any "little darlings," but don't worry -- the BMX thingie isn't a problem for campers), plus great RV sites.
  • 2X on Andersonville, and do plan enough time to do the Prisoner of War museum (at least half a day). I haven't been there in a couple years, but last time I was there they had former POWs as docents. Our tour guide was a guy who spent years in a German POW camp and that alone was worth the trip.
  • There's a wonderful aviation museum in Warner Robins, Georgia, not too far from Perry.
  • Ditto on Skidaway Island State Park. We've stayed there several times. It's a bit of a haul from Savannah, and you'll need a toad (or some other way to get around), but Savannah is also worth doing. Savannah fancies itself in the same category as Charleston and, in my opinion, it's really not in the same league, but still we enjoy it.

Have a great trip!

Skip

A few ideas for your trip...

• If you've never been there before (or even if you have), a stop at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is very worthwhile. I've been there several times, mostly recently just a couple weeks ago, and it's inspiring. My dad was a WWII Navy pilot so I'm a little biased, but even still I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
  • Enterprise, AL, might be on the way. It has, of course, the world famous statue of a boll weevil, so far as I know the only place on earth that has a statue dedicated to a pest. Anyway ... I mention it not for that but because the Museum of Army Aviation at Fort Rucker might be an interesting stop for you. Again, we have a family connection (my son is an Army helicopter pilot), but I think it would be interesting to normal people as well.
  • Albany, Georgia, might make a nice stop en route, and there's an amazing campground there called "The Parks at Chehaw." (It used to be a state park, but I think it's now privately owned.) It's got a zoo, canoe trips, nature trails, a BMX bicycle course (if you're bringing any "little darlings," but don't worry -- the BMX thingie isn't a problem for campers), plus great RV sites.
  • 2X on Andersonville, and do plan enough time to do the Prisoner of War museum (at least half a day). I haven't been there in a couple years, but last time I was there they had former POWs as docents. Our tour guide was a guy who spent years in a German POW camp and that alone was worth the trip.
  • There's a wonderful aviation museum in Warner Robins, Georgia, not too far from Perry.
  • Ditto on Skidaway Island State Park. We've stayed there several times. It's a bit of a haul from Savannah, and you'll need a toad (or some other way to get around), but Savannah is also worth doing. Savannah fancies itself in the same category as Charleston and, in my opinion, it's really not in the same league, but still we enjoy it.

Have a great trip!

Skip

Pensacola is a stop we have planned so will make sure we get to the Naval Aviation Museum. I am aware of Ft. Rucker but it never crossed my mine that they probably also have a nice museum. Being Army retired, not as a pilot, few many times on helicopters as well as enjoying them providing close air support in some dangerous situations. So I have a connection to helicopters but not in the way of a pilot. We will put that museum on the bucket list. We do have the Prisoner Of War Museum on the list and then on too Ft. Benning where I also served. Oh yes the Boil Weevil monument sounds like a fun picture stop.lol

Thanks so much for the tips. All the tips we are receiving is going to add greatly to what is shaping up to be a wonderful trip.

One other thing I realized I left off...

After the Savannah area, headed north, do plan a stop at the Mighty 8th Air Force museum. In my view, of everyone who constituted the "greatest generation," they don't get much greater than the 8th. The 8th Air Force suffered one-half of all US casualties in all of WWII. As ex-Army, you'll definitely appreciate the unbelievable courage of guys who would climb into those B-17s, knowing that 60% of them would be killed or wounded. It's an inspiring story.

Anyway, it's right off of I-95 as you head north out of Savannah.

Skip

Want to drive most southern route going east but not through New Orleans. After Rally continue to South Carolina and then start heading home on a more northern route with a stop in Memphis. We plan to visit coastal areas going east and up to Charleston before making U-turn taking the more northern return route.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't skip New Orleans for we really enjoyed our visit there. If you going to Memphis be sure to make a Graceland visit as they also have a RV park on site. Plan to spend all day there to see all of it. On the way Nashville is also a good place to stop with The Grand Ole Opry and Country Music Hall of Fame. I don't know know your route but another stop is Asheville, NC Biltmore Estate.

Good luck with your trip.

Received our Rally packet on Saturday, we enter the Rally grounds on Sunday 16th, A.M. Herman we will be looking for a cowboy in a orange hat.lol We have received so many great ideas for stops enroute and afterwards, thanks to all for the suggestions. Many of the towns suggested we planned to visit but the details everyone gave us for places not to miss at each town is great. And suggestions continue to be provided.

While in Memphis think about a tour at St Jude's Hospital. They have tours that can be joined. Also has a gift shop, garden, and the Danny Thomas mausoleum. Very somber but eye opening.

Pensacola is a stop we have planned so will make sure we get to the Naval Aviation Museum. I am aware of Ft. Rucker but it never crossed my mine that they probably also have a nice museum. Being Army retired, not as a pilot, few many times on helicopters as well as enjoying them providing close air support in some dangerous situations. So I have a connection to helicopters but not in the way of a pilot. We will put that museum on the bucket list. We do have the Prisoner Of War Museum on the list and then on too Ft. Benning where I also served. Oh yes the Boil Weevil monument sounds like a fun picture stop.lol

Thanks so much for the tips. All the tips we are receiving is going to add greatly to what is shaping up to be a wonderful trip.

Sorry for the multiple posts ... I keep realizing things I forgot.

If you're going by Ft. Benning, do plan a stop at the new Infantry Museum. It traces the history of Army infantry since the founding of the Republic and has several "halls of valor" dedicated to notable heroes in Army history. If reading those citations doesn't suck the wind out of you, you're probably already dead.

I think I've now recalled most of what I used to remember. Nah...

Skip