Sign in to follow this  
geraldlanc

Dead Ice Maker

My U-Line stand alone ice maker is 12 years old and has stopped working. New ones are really pricey, so would it be worth spending money on this one to get it working again, or is it just too old ? It will cost $59 just to have a tech look at it and then add in the shop labor rate and cost of parts. Anyone have any experience with these units?

Gerald

Could be as simple as a mold heater, and that shouldn't be that expensive to have repaired. I have one of those icemakers from Target, probably same brand ticat suggested. It works great, but you have to add water to manually, not complicated at all. If it were I though, I would have the tech assess the U-line, I have seen those things last for years.

Good luck,
Kay

If it is the cooling unit that is overloading the breaker, buy a new one. I like the quality of the Uline and will pay more for it.

Brett, I agree with you, if it is the cooling unit, by all means replace the whole unit. I would still have a qualified tech assess the unit before tossing it. We had three U-lines, one was tossed at twenty eight years, second, at 29 years, and third is still going at 32. They all had to have some periodic maintenance, but like a fine watch, will still keeping on ticking for a long time.

Kay

From my Safari Yahoo Website -- U-Line Compressor Ice-Maker Compressor

It is a replacement ice-maker compressor. The original U-Line was an R12 Gas model and is no longer available. The new compressor assembly is available from Air & Water, Inc., at $369. The unit is model A1-500SS. Phone 1.800.734-0405 or 714.421.4328. FAX 714.200.0665. Their address is 100 South Linwood Ave., Building B, Santa Ana, CA 92705. One has to shave off approximately 1/4" on one of the vertical frames.