Sign in to follow this  
CaptBMF

Air Compressor - Filling Tires

I have a 2004 Country Coach Allure (Newport) with an HWH leveling system. There is an air compressor Female Connector located in the Steering Bay forward on the Driver's side. Can this connector be used to fill tires? If is, then how? Thanks.

YES.

If there is no quick disconnect, you will need to fit one. Then male hose end and 50' hose with fitting to match the quick disconnect-- there are several styles that look similar but are not. Then other end with "dual foot chuck" to fill tires.

If your compressor is like mine, it will cycle between 100psi and 130psi. My point being, if you run pressures near or above 100psi it will take a long time to air your tires once the tank pressure gets low but not low enough to kick the compressor on.

Compressor kicks on at 100 psi and builds pressure to 130psi then shuts off. It will not kick on again until pressure drops to 100psi.

Thats probably about as clear as mud!

Jim is absolutely correct. The governor controls the air pressure produced by the engine-driven compressor between the CUT-IN pressure on the low side and CUT-OUT pressure on the high side.

With the engine running (so the compressor can run) if you need PSI toward the higher setting (cut-out pressure) have an assistant in the driver's seat. When pressure drops more than 10 PSI below cut-out pressure, have them lightly fan the brake pedal to quickly drop pressure to cut-in pressure where the compressor will again build pressure to cut-out pressure.

Brett

There is an excellent youtube video (actually two) that shows how to build a rig to make it easier to air up your tires from your DP air supply connector: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOqCk6dTuo .

When you watch the first one, near the end it will give you a link to the 2nd one which makes an improvement on the device built in the first one. The improvement is a way to bleed off the supply of air so the compressor will turn on and build up pressure again. Don't know if that made sense, but watch the videos and you will understand.

Jack

Watched the video. Just an extra gauge to tell you when to "lightly fan" the service brake pedal to lower pressure to CUT-IN pressure so the governor turns on the compressor until it reaches CUT-OUT pressure.

Did you watch the follow up video? There was a link for it near the end of the first video. Using it, you don't need to touch the brake pedal. Makes it a one-man operation. I should say that I have not tried either of the setups. Just saw it awhile back and flagged it in case I ever move up to a DP.

I built the gadget mentioned with the modification shown in the second video. What's nice is it shows the exact status of the coaches compressor. I carry 105 pounds in my tires so when the pressure being put out by the coach drops below that figure I force it to cycle so it builds back up to 130 pounds before I try to put air in a tire. The bleed valve quickly drops the coaches compressor down to where it cuts in and builds back up to the 130 pound cutoff point. Also building the pressure up to 130 pounds speeds up the filling process.

Supposedly my compressor also goes up to 120, then idle until 100 when it kicks back in....Taking rears up to 102 haven't been a problem....

I have tried twice to take my fronts up to 118 cold but have not been able to.....

I release the air until the compressor starts up and when it gets to approx 110, I put the air hose on the tire... I've held it on until the compressor kicks off at 118-120 but then when I check the PSI of the tires,they were only at 115... and I'm pretty sure of the gauges being correct or within +/- 1# ......

I thought that if the compressor went up to what it's gauges say was 118-120, the tires should have gone up to that point also ??

Tire gauge And relief valve with 50 foot hose

Put this together yesterday and used it as demonstrated in the updated video. It is really nice and the relief valve eliminates the need to pump the brakes to get the compressor to kick on.

I used the engine compressor for years. I finally gave up, got a small compressor on sale for less than $100 at Lowe's. It goes to 150 pounds and is much faster putting air into tires in the 110 to 120 PSI range. Besides, using the 6 cylinder diesel to do the job is a lot less efficient (0 MPG) unless you are going to warm up the engine anyway. I keep the small compressor in the basement, plugged in with the hose stored right next to it. When I turn it on, I can put the compartment door down and it hardly allows any noise outside the coach. Louise even sleeps though the process, something she doesn't do when I start the engine.

Supposedly my compressor also goes up to 120, then idle until 100 when it kicks back in....Taking rears up to 102 haven't been a problem....

I have tried twice to take my fronts up to 118 cold but have not been able to.....

I release the air until the compressor starts up and when it gets to approx 110, I put the air hose on the tire... I've held it on until the compressor kicks off at 118-120 but then when I check the PSI of the tires,they were only at 115... and I'm pretty sure of the gauges being correct or within +/- 1# ......

I thought that if the compressor went up to what it's gauges say was 118-120, the tires should have gone up to that point also ??

You have a air governor on your coach and some set it for up to 130 lb, on our Monaco Dynasty it is located on the rear passenger frame it has a plastic cap that looks like a Mexican hat, CCW to raise the pressure.

Put this together yesterday and used it as demonstrated in the updated video. It is really nice and the relief valve eliminates the need to pump the brakes to get the compressor to kick on.

X2. Use the RVgeeks.com updated video and build one. I built it back in May and it works like a champ! Harbor freight has all that is needed. Total cost ~$15.00. I don't leave home without it! Thank You RVgeeks for another very informative youtube video.

link to original video

link to modified inflation tool

Be sure and watch both and you will become a tire inflation expert!!

There is a small pressure drop in the chuck and another pressure drop going through the tire valve stem. Because of these pressure drops the tire will never get to the same pressure as shown on the gauge upstream of the chuck. The tire pressure will be close, but never equal to the line pressure.