MadHungarian

"PEX" Water Lines In RV - Has Anyone Replaced Them?

When I was crawling around in the back of my Coachmen Class C the other day I noticed that the water system in this thing is fitted with the dreaded "PEX" style water lines. Has anybody ever had problems with these lines leaking? Ever replaced them with CPVC?

As a side note, I also noticed that the fresh water holding tank feed line has been cut and capped on both the tank and system sides, which leads me to wonder whether or not the tank has a leak in it. The fresh water fill line had also been disconnected from the tank. Rather scary, as the fill line is awfully close to the AC converter!! I could see a major catastrophe happening had I tried to fill the tank!! :o

I agree, Ernie. Unlike PVC/CPVC, I don't have to worry about the Pex piping freezing and breaking. I only wish I had the manifold system like in my sticks & bricks.

A friend of mine is in the process of re-plumbing his motorhome with PEX after loosing a lot of the PVC due to freeze damage.

I have to ask - why is it the "dreaded" PEX. It is mostly bullet proof and simple to work with. PEX joints and lines are way more forgiving to elements and bouncing down the road than PVC joints and pipes.

You can always use an air compressor to pressurize (at low pressure) the holding tank and see if you have a leak. Spritz it with soapy water and see if you get any bubbles. That way if/when you find a leak you don't have gallons of water draining to a level below the breach.

I agree, pex is the best. I plumbed my conversion with it and do not regret it at all. Although, I did use the brass sharkbite or gatorbite fittings, depending on where you buy them for the name. The most important thing to remember is you must make sure the pex is free from any burrs when installing, as they will damage the o-rings and will cause a potential leak.

Kay

I not sure what lines my coach is equipped with but I had a freeze of the basement month-half ago in Twin Falls, ID at 8 F because basement heater failed. The Markings on is 160 psi burst @ 73.4 F 100 psi @ 180 F and is a clear white tint with brass fittings. It had no damage and was thawed out as we got near Las Vegas, NV.

Pex (cross linked polyethylene) is the best pipe out there without a doubt. I sold pex for 20 years in Colorado for everything from water lines to snowmelting tube in very expensive homes in the Colorado mountain without any problems. I think the pipe you are thinking of is Polybutylene which has nothing to do with Pex. Polybutylene pipe wasn't even that much of a problem but the acetyl fittings were a huge problem nationwide. Polybutylene does not exist anymore. Don't rip out your Pex and go to CPVC!!!!

I think the OP has Poly Butalyne and PEX confused. PEX is far better than any other options. I've been in the plumbing trade for 40 years and did a lot of repipes in sticks and bricks back in the 90's as a part of the PB class action lawsuit. The main problem with PB though was the fittings not the tubing.

I'm a plumber by trade and I am a fan of PEX. but in the last 6 months I have been introduced to class A PEX by Uponor. This stuff is great! its only draw back is you have to have a special tool to expand the fittings and pipe. there are two things that I like about this type of PEX

1. The pipe expands to go around the fitting... this means if the pipe freezes at or near the joint then when it thaws you wont have stretched out crimp ring.. this is because the pipe is always trying to return to it original shape and size. the ring that holds the fitting on is the same material as the PEX. it squeezes the fitting and that makes the water dame.

2. If you get a kink all you need is a heat gun. This is really cool... you put the heat on the pipe and it will turn translucent and will return to its original shape.

If I already had the tool I would rip all of the CPVC out of our motor home and redo it in Uponor PEX.

That or Rehau   you can use three methods of ends:  expand, crimp or use there everloc.

Love the kink repair with heat gun.

I had to do a small PEX line modification a few weeks back when installing a new toilet.  Had never worked with PEX (only PVC and copper) for water systems but using the PEX and standard fittings (non-Sharkbite) it was simple and quick.  The crimping tool was pre-calibrated but came with a gauge tool for calibrating.

Actually, we got all of the parts and tools at Orange Box.....believe the line was Sharkbite brand.

The tools and hardware will stay in the coach since our stick house is copper.

Blake

PEX came with the coach.  Great stuff, had a bad (plastic) on/off ball valve and replaced with brass, Home Depot..they let me borrow the tool.  Took 20 minutes in parking lot. :wub: 

My next house will have PEX.

Carl