Sign in to follow this  
cinhrvs

Glacier National Park

Question

I am planning on going to Glacier National Park in August. Which is better? East Glacier, West Glacier, or St. Mary. Which town is better to stay in? Better side of the park? Best campground? Town with the easiest road in (I will be coming in from I90)?

4 answers to this question

I've been to Glacier NP 3 different times in a Class B RV, and traveling with a dog. I needed electric so I stayed in St. Mary's at the KOA. I don't usually stay at KOA's, but I was able to rent a car there to explore the park. At that time there sites where not very level and alot of the bigger units were up on alot of boards. There is another park there up on a hill, I don't remember the name of it. I then went back to Rte. 2 and headed to West Glacier. The entrance to the NP is closer to Rte.2 on the West side. There I would have liked to stay in the park at the Apgar campground, but I needed electric, so I stayed at the KOA there. It was a much nicer and very well maintaned KOA. Be sure to visit Many Glaciers and Swift Current areas of the park. Late in the afternoon lots of people gather at Swift Current to see the grizzlys roaming on the hill behind the store. I also really enjoyed seeing all the lodges. Have a great time and remember there is a length limit for your vehicle to drive the going to the sun road.

Agree with KOCONNEL above. KOA at West Glacier is one of the better KOA's you'll find and very close to park entrance. We stayed there this past July. Perhaps a little pricey depending on what area of campgraound and type of services you opt for, but we would certainly stay there again. West end seemed to be closer to most areas of the park but if you have a toad, you can get to any area of the park during a day trip. Check to see if road construction has been completed. Last summer had major delays on lower section of Road to the Sun. Great time! Enjoy.