jlandon13399

Fiberglass Repair

The top sides of my coach are peeling. This is the area above the gutter line and wraps over the roof for about 6-8 inches. It is the clear coat peeling and the sun here in AZ is very tough. I got a quote to repair the paint and the clear coat for $2000. They will have to at least 2/3rds of the top sides on both sides of the coach. This seems very expensive considering what has to be done. Can anyone tell my how you would go about repairing the paint and clear coat?

Maybe since it's just the front, sides and rear top only maybe you can sand and paint yourself. Just get a body shop to mix some paint for you. I already hit my roof with some spray clear coat and seems to be slowing the process down but I know it won't last.

When I read your post I thought I must be standing in front of a talking mirror. The clear coat and base coat on our coach has deteriorated in exactly the same area and manner. The estimate I had for repair was within $50 of what you mentioned. And we are also in Arizona.

I did meet a guy, who knew a guy, etc. That fellow works out of his garage and he offered to repair it for $600. Later when I tried to contact him he did not return my calls so I decided to pursue other options. I found http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ and if you have the paint codes, they can mix paint to that code and put it in 12 oz. spray cans. I don't know how much it is going to take so I ordered 4 cans of base and 4 cans of clear coat.

I have the paint but have spent the last 4 weeks scraping 3M clear film off the front so haven't started on the paint repair. So far I have spent less than $200 for the base paint, clear coat, primer and other related supplies. I don't know how well the the clear coat will fair into the adjacent areas so a little high build primer may be necessary. Of course the clear coat in the rattle can is not catalyzed so it won't last as long as the original but if I catch it before the base coat is damaged, I should be able to spray on additional clear as necessary.

AutomotiveTouchup.com has a lot of information, videos and tips so it's a site worth visiting. As stated by the previous post, most automotive paint suppliers can also mix your paint and put it in an aerosol can.

I expect to start prepping and painting after we return from a rally about the middle of February. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

F355197 and hyffypuff,

Thank you guys for your input. I believe this may be the time for some good old elbow grease to fix the paint issue. Those of us who are retired certainly have the time, its just getting up on a ladder etc that is a concern. If I take my time and am careful the results should be good.

Thanks again,

I needed some fiberglass work on a 5th wheel and found a boat repair facility to do it. Lots more fiberglass boats around than fiberglass RVs.