MAxWedge

Are LifeLine Batteries Worth the Added Cost?

Hello,

I have a new-to-me coach that is in need of 4 new house batteries.

The original batteries are LifeLine AGM 8D and my questions is: Are they worth the extra cost over other brands of AGM 8D battery?

Does anyone have experience using anything else?

$3500 to have 4 batteries installed seems excessive!!

Thanks for the assistance!

JR

Really sounds like a personal choice.

Lifeline is highly advertised as being the one with the longest warranty (5years), doesn't sound that long to me. I started using cell tower gel cell pulls many years ago,

I currently use 107 pound ones, and have extremely good luck with them. The batteries that I get are 1 year old, are 2000 amp hr., most 8D's are 1100 to 1400. I have used these batteries in excess of 5 years.

But if the pic in your post is yours, it appears to be a Prevost conversion. I could only afford a lowly MCI convert.

Good luck with your decision,

Kay

Hello,

I have a new-to-me coach that is in need of 4 new house batteries.

The original batteries are LifeLine AGM 8D and my questions is: Are they worth the extra cost over other brands of AGM 8D battery?

Does anyone have experience using anything else?

$3500 to have 4 batteries installed seems excessive!!

Thanks for the assistance!

JR

I suspect that if you spend some time searching the internet, you can find them for less than that. I saw one post that spoke of finding them for a little over $400 each. I have six of the 6CT Lifelines and they were about 2K installed 2 years ago. It's worth it to me not to have to feed water to the batteries.

I recently needed to replace my 8D Lifeline batteries and the very best pricing I could find was about $600 each. You might be including the labor involved as some Prevost's have tough battery locations. My Prevost has easy access and I did the work myself.

While my Lifeline's did last 10 years (the last few years with reduced capacity) I chose to replace them with the Chinese built Universal Battery from Apex Battery. http://www.apexbattery.com/universal-power-ub-8d-agm-45964-battery.html

We found them for $300 each (total) making my total investment $1200. That was about 2 years ago and "so far" I cannot tell any difference in performance. To break even I only need to have them last about 4 years (or reduced capacity to 5) and anything longer than that I am $$$ ahead.

I suggest going to http://prevostcommunity.com and asking "Tom" for pricing on the Lifeline batteries.

IMHO, Lifeline batteries are constructed very well. Battery manufacturer's don't publish much "real" technical data for the class of batteries normally used in RV's. Based upon the data that I can find, the design and construction of the Lifeline's is better than other manufacturers in this class of batteries. Batteries are often sold and bought as a commodity, but they truly aren't a commodity.

Let us know if he can sell you some 8D Lifelines for $300 each (total, tax, tag, delivery). The Lifeline batteries are quite a bit heavier and my original set lasted 10 years. You need to ask if you need 10 year batteries and you need to know what your budget is. You can buy 8D wet cell for about $150 and if you take very, very, very good care of them they will do a very good job and last many years. I don't take ANY care of my batteries so I need something I don't have to think about.