Sign in to follow this  
malassen

Freedom 458 Inverter/Converter Twangy Noise

We have a 2003 Allegro Bus with Freedom 458 Inverter/Converter. The unit periodically makes a noise similar to flexing a piece of sheet metal. This has been ongoing for about a year and is loud enough to wake us at night.

Xantrex tech support said it was a sign that unit needed replacing so we purchased new and installed. Right out of box same noise. Called Xantrex back and initially said nature of the beast and ignore but this is hard to do. Batteries are good, everything works great, shore power is constant but noise continues periodically when charger is on. We turn off charger at night and noise goes away.

While in Mesa Arizona area we called Xantrex authorized repair facility and they instantly said it was a faulty module in unit and there has been a service bulletin concerning issue and that any new unit should not have a problem, they think they will be able to repair. I called Xantrex back and they agreed and said problem could get worse. Other than being noisy no one seems worried. I am beginning to run p sizable costs with new units and Xantrex warranty which covers repair of their brand new unit but not the removal and replacement to fix.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

That kind of a noise is certainly not normal. I had a 458 for about 10 years and never experienced anything similar. I had the cooling fan go bad and was able to find the exact replacement which I took care of (the noise of the fan made this problem obvious). Otherwise, nearly completely silent and you need to have it addressed. If you mark the wires clearly, removing it yourself is a cake walk so you really should not have to have someone else do this unit you have physical issues that would prevent it.

I agree and had no problem installing the new unit but it still makes same noise. If true that there is a service bulletin out to fix problem why is Xantrex shipping a new unit expecting me to repair. It will be in Shop to be thoroughly inspected by authorized service on Thursday so will see what actually shows up. Sounds like it was a common problem but no one I have discussed with has any knowledge until today.

I completely agree. I guess I am glad I got away from my old Heart (now Xantrex) and installed a TSW Nature Power 3000W with 150amp charger. No issues thus far.

Kind of sounds like your control board software was not updated. When the units first came out, they made that sound when it started and then ran quiet.

That board failed on mine and a new one with the software update ended that issue and the issue of the inverter not turning on and off properly.

Rich..

Bill, I have to agree with you about doing the removal and replacement yourself. I can not believe how heavy a device about the size of a shoe box can weight sooo much. In my bay my belly was a great help.

Herman

I think the quality of Xantrex has gone down hill since it was sold. It seems that there are a lot more problems with the units and tech help is harder to come by. We were a dealer for many years but not anymore as support is not there.