puncher

Exhaust Leak?

Coming home the other night (this stuff always happens in the middle of the night) I began to hear what sounded like an exhaust leak. I could not find it when I stopped for fuel. No sound when idleing. Where do I start looking.

The sound seemed as if it was coming from near the turbo. I replaced the turbo with a reman. unit about 30,000 ago. By the way severe power loss.

My questions now are does this wheezing under acceleration noise have to be in front of the turbo, or can it be from the turbo itself, or after the turbo.

You can probably tell I'm new at this and will appreciate any help.

Where do you suggest I start.

This is a 1991 3116 cat with 125,000. It took me a couple of hours to get home and the noise seemed to increase by the time I got there.

Thank You.

Brian

Brian,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The good news is that an exhaust leak on a diesel is pretty easy to detect. An exhaust leak leaves BLACK traces around the leak.

Look at the head to exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold itself (that long one piece manifold is prone to leaking), manifold to turbo, turbo itself and on down the exhaust circuit.

Let us know what you see.

Thank You and I'm pleased to be here. I think you hit it. There is black carbon on the block below the manifold and on the oil line to the turbo. I think I might have a bad gasket on the manifold behind the turbo. I will replace it and the turbo gasket since it looks like I have to remove it to get to the manifold bolts. Is there a type or brand of gasket that is better than others ? I don't want this to be a common experience. Thank you for your help. Brian

With that long exhaust manifold, it is a good idea to have it checked for straightness. Mill it if needed. Not expensive.

Replace the head to manifold gaskets, all exhaust manifold bolts bolt locks and manifold to turbo gasket.

If any of the manifold bolts are difficult to remove, don't hesitate to soak them with a good penetrating oil. Much better than breaking a bolt.

I would suggest you soak all bolts with a good penetrating oil for a few days before you try to remove them, one of the best I have ever used was a mixture of Acetone and Trans fluid 50/50 and shake it up real good.

Might want to check for a leak on the air side of the turbo, the turbo forces the outside air taken from air cleaner than forced through the air to air cooler (in front of the radiator) and into the intake manifold. If you get a split or tear in any of these rubber hoses it causes a wheezing noise and loss of power.