Sign in to follow this  
msmdkt

Portfolio or Cornerstone Extended Warranty

Hi,

We are in the process of purchasing a 2007 Holiday Rambler Imperial and investigating an extended warranty.

The dealership is selling Cornerstone and we have also gotten a quote from Wholesale Warranties.

Has anyone ever heard of or used either Portfolio or Cornerstone?

If you have this vintage HR and have had problems that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Debra

Debra, Welcome to the forum. Glad to meet you.

Personally, I decided that an extended warranty was just too expensive on my high end coach. The least expensive quote for my 2006 CC Magna was over $3400 for a 2 year policy. I can keep that amount in my account and take my chance. By the way the average quote was over $4000 for that coverage. Thanks but no thanks.

The cost for coverage on a HR should be considerably less due to value of the coaches. For insurance purposes mine is considered a high value coach for the year.

I have read good overall experiences from others on WW, although every company will have some distractors based on their experiences. The same can be said for Cornerstone. It seems many dealers use them for extended warranties.

Be careful with the dealers however. They tried to sell us a policy that would last 4 years, but have to be paid through our monthly payment for the entire term of the payment. In that case we would be paying for a warranty after year 4 that we no longer had. Did not make sense to us.

msmdkt,

Welcome to the forum.

I purchased an extended warranty last May from Cornerstone thru Lazy Days in Tucson. I recently had a hydraulic jack failure and Cornerstone stood behind the warranty. The cost of a four year extended warranty was $5992 for the 2008 H/R Ambassador. Considering what could go wrong in four years I thought it was good insurance. Others may disagree but I like knowing the someone has my back.

Which company you chose is your call.

Bought extended warranty when we bought our 2007 HR Endeavor. Worked most of the "bugs" out of coach during the original mfg warranty period and only used extended warranty once. Defrost element on refrigerator which cost in neighborhood of $350. Certainly not worth the $2500 or so we spend. Generally not a fan of extended warranties on anything, but coach can be major investment, so think of it like insurance, "never worth the money unless you need it then you are glad you have it" (I know it sounds like something Yogi Berra might say) On a used unit that has been well cared for, may not be worth money. If it has been well used, things may be ready to break down. .

Like Medico, we looked at extended warranties, but for what they were asking, we could sure pay a lot of out of pocket expenses. We opted not to get one.

What I've saved over the years by not getting a service policy (by law they are not "warranties" unless bought direct from the motorhome manufacturer) I have paid for a new set of tires and all maintenance over the 12 years we've owned the RV.

So, for us the answer would be NO.