Sign in to follow this  
TRVL42

Onan QD 8000

We have an Onan Quiet Diesel 8000 Model 8HDKAK-1046K on our 2008 Monaco Knight which does not slide out.

The generator has approximately 250 hours run time. I noticed that there was no antifreeze in the coolant recovery reservoir tank. I added a 50/50 mixture in the coolant recovery reservoir tank above the minimum fill line and over time the coolant leaks out of the tank and the fluid ends up around the cooling air inlet grille.

I checked the pressure cap system fill opening and there is fluid in the system. I have read that a hose clamp could be loose or in one case a manufacturing flaw with a hairline crank in the tank.

I was wondering if anyone has a detailed description and pictures on how to disassemble to inspect the hoses and tank reservoir while the unit remains in place. :unsure:

I understand that tank replacement cost may be between $70.00 to $200.00.

Gary,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The generators that are not mounted on a slid and need to be checked or have major / even minor work done on them need to be removed.

This is done by elevating the front of the coach, disconnecting the electrical, fuel lines, the exhaust system and the mounting bolts. Then the entire unit is lowered out the bottom and moved from under the coach. Most coaches have a portion of the front cowling that can be removed to allow enough room.

A job that requires the proper tools. Primarily a Pallet jack or something very similar that can support the unit as its lowered and then wheeled out from under the coach.

Often there are access panels that allow inspection of some areas and these panels very, often by model.

Looking at the owners manual for your model, I do not see any sign of panels that would allow access to the areas needed to get a good look at the cooling system plumbing.

Rich.

Rich,

Thanks for the information.

I will be scheduling an appointment with the local Cummins service center due to the complexity of the repair. The fluid seems to be running down the front of the front panel around the coolant filler hose and dripping on a ledge above the intake grille. The coolant filler hose has a bend in it when I put the filler hose access panel back on. It would be nice if the clamp was loose. I don't understand why they would not put the unit on a slide tray for better accessibility.

Gary

UPDATE: The coolant recovery tank was replaced due to a crack. The Tidewater Cummins Atlantic service center in Chesapeake, VA made the necessary repairs.

Thanks for the replies to my request for information. They had to remove my generator from the chassis using a forklift. Hopefully my warranty coverage will cover most of the repair bill.