Sign in to follow this  
rbigwheels

Algae In Diesel Fuel

I have a 1997 Safari Sahara Diesel Pusher Motorhome. About a year ago I developed Algae in my fuel tank. I took it into the CAT Dealer & they drained the tank, flush it & I filled it w/new diesel. Every time I filled the tank, I also used an algae inhibitor. This worked fine for a year & I have recently noticed more algae in the clear bottom of one of the fuel filters. We are Full Timer RV'ers & usually don't stay parked for longer than a month, except during the summer, when we work kamp for 4 months. Does anyone have a permanent solution to this problem. Thanks...

I wonder if its algae or just crud? I'd do what your doing and just change your fuel filters more often. My previous coach had that and that's what I did.

Algae grows at a diesel/water interface. The key is to keep water out of the tank.

Two primary sources of water-- one within your control.

Anytime you will be parking/storing it, make sure the fuel tank is FULL. This reduces water from condensation.

Example: You have a 100 gallon fuel tank. You used half, leaving you 50 gallons of fuel and 50 gallons of air. When the ambient temperature reaches the dew point of the air in the tank, the moisture in that air CONDENSES and goes to the bottom of the tank (water is heavier than diesel). Each day as the temperature rises, the tank "breaths out" and each night, with falling temperatures it "breaths in". Then moisture in that air can condense.

So, add your BIOCiDE, but also make sure that the tank is full.

BTW, algae is black and slimy-- is that what you have or is it particulate contamination?

Thanks Wolfe 10 for the info. The CAT Tech told me it was Algae. It's dark, but looks like little particles in the clear bowl under my first fuel filter. It was recommended to me to use Biobor, as it is suppose to be one of the best additives on the market to eliminate water & Contaminates in my fuel tank. The CAT Tech used Sea Foam, to clean out the tank, but I was unable to find it readily. I was able to find Pri-D, but maybe it's not doing the job. What do you think? Thanks...

Biobor JF is what I use in motorhome and boat when storing diesel. Again, having the tank full is really important.

Biobor does not eliminate water, it just keeps algae from growing.

I have no first hand knowledge of Pri-D.

It is uncommon to have an algae problem providing the tank is reasonably clean, full and treated with a biocide. I used Valvtect in my boat and now in the MH. It, and other biocides can be found at most marine stores...our Wal Mart carries Sea Foam.

Keeping the tank full during storage even ifs its just a few weeks is the best preventative for algae. Algae needs food (water) to grow and as has been previously discussed, water will not develop in any significant quantities if you will keep the tank full.

All truck stops sell algae treatments, also farm supply stores like Tractor Supply and farm co-ops will sell these products.

Without seeing what you're seeing in the filter bowl we can't tell you what you have but I can tell you from experience that algae is very slimy and may have a dark color but I've not seen algae that looks like specks.