wfstewa

Diesel Prices

Recently bought a diesel rig and began to notice prices. In the areas I have visited in LA and TX the prices for diesel fuel are usually cheaper in small gas stations than truck stops. Is this generally true, and if so, why would this be?

We use http://www.gasbuddy.com/ to find the least expensive fuel on our route.

Then Google maps to verify there is room to maneuver the coach. In many cases, it is Murphy Oil/Walmart.

The beauty of most diesels is that they can go a LONG way without needing to stop for fuel. Only issue-- when parking/storing, have the tank FULL to minimize condensation.

Gas Buddy is a good idea.

We avoid the national chains like Pilot/Flying J/Loves, etc. It's been my experience that they are very crowded, noisy, dirty and a general PITA to attempt to refuel with numerous trips inside to stand in line, give them the CC, refuel, back in line to pick up the card and sign the ticket. They advertise getting a card with them and all the money you'll save...but their "sale" price is usually what the normal price is at the regular stations.

As for Murphy/Wally World, that's where I always refuel at home. I don't have the toad with me and do it on Sunday morning when there is no traffic and I can get a pump near the entrance so entering and exiting is no problem. Also, if you get a WM gift card, they take another dime of the already low price.

A trucker told me there is one downside to smaller stations. Their turnover on diesel is usually lower and their storage tanks can be prone to condensation. They will be slower to make the changeover to the right grade of diesel for the current season. Likely not a problem but something to consider. Sometimes getting in to a small station with a 40 footer and towing can be a problem. I will usually choose the larger stations and use the 18 wheeler pumps.

Smaller stations have smaller storage tanks so the amount of condensation is less. My solution is that I have a 95 gallon diesel tank in the back of my Silverado toad and I can go to a station with lower prices and fill up and then drive back to the coach and transfer the fuel in to the main tank which I have increased to 129 gallon capacity. Because I get between 10 and 11 mpg and have 220 gallons I can get to the cheapest stations in the country without refueling along the way!

Yes Gas buddy is your friend.

I will use Pilot if I am in an area I don’t know. You can spend a lot of time trying to find that fuel that is $.05 cheaper and then have a hard time trying to get in and out.

When home I use Kroger. There is one near where I keep the RV and it has diesel on the outside pumps so no problem getting in and out. The best part is you can use your fuel points. Best I have ever done was $0.70 off the pump price. The only bad is you only get 35 gal at the discount.

Bill

I might be mistaken- but I understood at a Perry seminar- that we should only use #2 diesel. Problem is- we have not found #2 at Walmart/Sams. Am I missing something??? We used it before we went to the seminar in Perry and I guess we just had beginners luck of not having any problems.

Anybody care to clarify this issue?

Joe & Cathy

2001 Safari Zanzibar

Actually, unless you are in an extremely cold area #2 diesel is what all the pumps have. Further, that #2 diesel is low sulfur/ULSD.

The only time you will not use #2 diesel is in extreme cold conditions, where #2 diesel can GEL. Then they blend #2 with #1 with a lower cloud point.

Some areas will also be selling B5/B10 biodiesel which is also acceptable in diesels engines without modifications. It's pretty much just #2 and #1 and you will know it's #1 diesel when you see the price they charge for it!

It is getting harder to find #2 that is not a B10 or higher biodiesel blend. At one of the seminars they were saying only run #2 and not a biodiesel blend but that is getting harder to do.

Bill