Sign in to follow this  
dhgraves

Replacing Satellite System

I am in the process of replacing an old satellite dish on my American Eagle with an SK-1000 Winegard Traveler RV Satellite dish.

I will have three new HD flat screen TVs with hopefully tow TVs operating at the same time. I want HD and DVR availability.

I think I want the Dish Network so I can only pay for the months that I am in the coach.

The real issue is: what kind of wiring do I need at each TV, does all of the wiring need to run back to a central location, does each TV need its own receiver, what is the best DISH DVR receiver for this operation?

Be sure you know what service you will be using. The SK-1000 is Dish only!

After that, you will find that the Trav'ler has 3 outputs at the base of the antenna and you will need to run one separate coax directly from that location to each receiver. The Dish Trav'ler can handle up to 3 DVR's or you could go with a Hopper and multiple Joeys with very similar wiring options.

If you only need to be able to watch 2 different channels but want to view those on a 3rd or 4th TV you will be able to split the output from the receiver to the slave TV either using an HDMI splitter (if you want HD on the other TV) or by using a coax output to the other TV.

Thanks, I'm now at the point where I need to select the correct Dish receiver box. Dish Network chat was not real helpful but recommended a 211K but I see there is a 211Z also. Moreover, I see that there are other receivers that have DVRs built in - so which is best? Can I add an external DVR hard drive to the 211?

If you are going to get a Trav'ler I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a true DVR and not just add a hard drive to a 211 (K is better). With the 211 you can only watch/record one channel at a time while you can watch one channel and record another with a DVR.

Additionally, if you use the Trav'ler you could install a Hopper and one or more Joey's so you can watch/record 3 different channels on up to 3 different TV's and if you activate PTAT you could record the 4 major networks plus 2 more during prime time (only).