ptjeff04

Yellowstone RV Camping

Question

I will be traveling with family from Cody Wyoming to Glacier National Park to Yellowstone as part of a trip out West.

I was planning on stopping at Grizzly Bear RV Park in West Yellowstone for several days. I have read nice reviews. My question is should I plan on staying there the available time I will have or move to Fishing Bridge or another campground after a few days?

It will be around July and we will have a tow vehicle and 2 children 11 and 9.

Once done, I will be heading to the Grand Canyon south. I will probably have only 5-8 days here as we are seeing a lot on this trip.

Any suggestions appreciated.

10 answers to this question

I would move inside the park if you can. The Grizzly RV park is about 1 mile outside the West gate and then it's 14 miles or so from where you can make a turn to go N or S in the park. It makes for a very long day of driving to explore it all. I would actually skip W. Yellowstone entirely and stay at the RV park just outside the N entrance of the park and explore the top half and then move to Fishing Bridge (hope you already have reservations!) to explore the bottom.

According to my memory, and the official NPS map, the West gate is practically in West Yellowstone. Grizzley is basically in "downtown" West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is about 6 blocks by 8 blocks. It is 14 miles to Madison Junction from the entrance station. Madison Junction is where you turn left or right to see the park. We will be in the Tetons/Yellowstone area in July. We have reservations at Colter Bay for a week in the Tetons, followed by a week in Grizzley in West Yellowstone.

Thanks for the correction Frank. I have corrected my post. I just remember it as being way too long a day and our visits since then have been from what I consider to be better jumping off points.

Thanks for the correction Frank. I have corrected my post. I just remember it as being way too long a day and our visits since then have been from what I consider to be better jumping off points.

I wish that I could stay at Fishing Bridge. The first available reservations for 40 ft MHs were after Labor day, and we'll be long gone by then. I would consider dry camping for a few days, but not a whole week. We do like the comforts that 50 amps allow. We'd rather set up once and then tour at our leisure. There are a few sites in the NPS CG's for bigger coaches, but not many. We lucked into one at Madison Junction several years ago. It was real touchy getting into the site without hitting any trees in the cg.

We used West Yellowstone as our base for the park many years. The drive from the west gate to Madison Junction is beautiful and has a great deal of wild life. The park is laid out in a figure 8. Once you hit Madison Junction you are just about in the center of the figure 8. Just pick the half of the park you want to see that day.

Thanks for all the help.

We will be coming from Glacier to Grizzly in West Yellowstone. No room at Fishing Bridge.

Appreciate the responses.

Starting a new post for Glacier now!!

Good morning, we are actually full timers and own a shop in West Yellowstone, it is a quaint little town, Grizzley RV is a very nice park, there is a lot to do and a nice night life in West Yellowstone in July, there is a Community theater that does plays this year they are doing 4 different shows, a group of very talented young people. This is the Playmill Theater...google it they have a Beauty and the Beast matinee on Saturdays. I would also go to the Grizzly center.

The Town Of West Yellowstone also puts on it's own Firework display every year. This is funded by the local town and last year quite the show, Grizzly RV is just about at point 0 for it right over head practically. Last year our show was approx, 20+ minutes

It is easy access to park and a good place to be.

Just my 2 bits!

Kathy