Question

We are taking out on our first cross country trip in April. A month of wandering. Taking I-80 (or somewhere near there). Any must sees? Must stays? Must take with us? Which GPS to buy?

3 answers to this question

If you go up and across using I-80 be prepare to pay a lot in tolls. Best to stay on I-70 and hit avoid tolls setting on the GPS.

Thanks for that advice. We noticed the routing suggestion was I-80. Why pay tolls if you can avoid them??

Wow, just trying to do a quick count of great things to do between those 2 locations I come up with something like 1,000,000 things to see and do.

If you have never visited Niagara Falls, I would take 80 and make that a stop. If you take 70 then stop in Dayton, OH for a visit to the most awesome air/space museum anywhere (2 day event). 70 could then take you to St. Louis to visit the Arch but you would then want to get back to 80 so you can visit the Great Platte River Archway in Kearney, NE. You will want to stop in SLC and Reno, NV (area....lot's to do) and then as you get close to Napa you will be able to visit the Jelly Belly jelly bean factory.

Do you have an special interests? You will bypass many, many must sees but you might be able to take another route home.

Since you are talking about a 6000+ mile round trip you may also have bitten off more than you can chew. At an average driving day of 300 miles, it's going to take 20 days just to get to Napa and get home. That leaves almost no time to do anything else.