dallasw

Aqua-Hot

Just purchased a MH with an aqua-Hot system. Do I turn both the electrical & diesel switches off while traveling? Is the hot water heated by the engine coolant while traveling?

Yes and yes. And, if it's cold but not too cold, you can run the furnace going down the road using engine heat.

I purchased my Wanderlodge with aqua hot in Aug. Before I always had propane heaters. This system is the most finicky thing I have ever encountered. Good luck with yours

We have A-H in our coach and since December I have spent almost $3,000.00 on the unit. Am still not sure if it is working properly. Finicky is not the word I would use to describe the unit. Great when working but *##* when not.

Herman

I believe the AquaHot/HydroHot systems require routine use just as a generator does. In my 2006 coach, this had not been done prior to my acquiring the coach. Consequently the system got gummed up (plugged up) with a crystalline product (I guess the by product of the anti-freeze that is used, and the fact that someone had mixed the wrong type anti-freeze in, a serious No-No). The heat exchangers had to be unplugged with pressure and the system flushed several times with water then new anti-freeze added before it worked right. The system can be prone to air locking as well.

FYI: The system should be run for a couple of hours each month per the techs. trained by Aqua Hot for these systems.

The control systems on my unit seem to work reasonably well once the system was flushed properly, but they do seem to be a complex system. Mine can be heated with the diesel burner, an electric anode, and an engine preheater. They supply heat to 2 or 3 boiler zones and continuous hot water, so yes, they seem quite complex. Plus they are systems that do not lend themselves to DIY projects.

Because of the complexity, the labor involved with repairs is high. Plus some systems are installed in coaches in such a way as to add to the difficulty in performing maintenance. For example my HydroHot burner faces outward whereas my neighbors system is parallel with the frame. My neighbors took almost 3 times as long just to service the burner.

Just had our AH system serviced on the 2005 MH we just purchased. Tech said it did not appear to have been serviced since installation. Took a new fuel filter and new nozzle. Proper adjustment should not put out any smoke or even smell like diesel. Tech said we should run it through one heating cycle once a month and have it serviced every other year. Cost was $200.

Still learning the aqua hot system. When using the engine preheat when should you turn on the preheat switch in cold weather? One hour before engine start, less or more time?

My coach has an electric engine preheat not associated with the AH. I set a standard timer so it comes on about four hours prior to leaving. You might have one too. Mine is in the basement compartment where the power cord is located.