Sign in to follow this  
Dapperdan

120 VAC Keeps Shutting Down

I plug my coach into a 50 amp service with a surge protector. The surge protector shows L1 at 121 volts & L2 at 121 volts. Everything seems OK. Then the Ac's start to cycle on & the system shuts down then back on then down.

I checked the breakers & the front ac breaker is tripped, I shut off all the ac's & check the panel & it shows L1 AT 121 volts and pulling 15 amps for the refrigerator. I turn on the water heater & L2 shows 8 volts pulling 18 amps. I can hear the transfer switch clicking & the system shuts down then on then off.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Dapperdan,

With a good / correct voltage reading with no loads and the L1 circuit working properly, narrows it down to the L2 circuit.

A voltage reading of 8 volts would lead me to a defective connection at the Campsite riser, defect in the 50 amp shore cable, a loose or defective connection at the coach connection for the shore cable, an issue with the transfer switch or a loose connection at the L2 breaker or the breaker being defective.

Now, if everything works when you run the generator, the breakers are working properly. That would mean something in the other items listed need to be checked.

Have you tried to connect to a different shore power outlet? If only to see if things work correctly, if everything works that would mean a bad circuit in you campsite 50 amp connection.

All the other items listed would need to be tested with a meter(OHMS Scale) and visually inspect all these point.

Rich.

This in addition to Rich's post. Get this diagnosed before using any more shore power-- if you have a loose connection on a hot leg, it can cause extreme overheating and perhaps a fire.

As Rich said, if all is OK on generator, that eliminates the ATS OUT connections, and everything on the coach-side.

Try another CG outlet.

Check the male end of your shore power cord carefully for signs of overheating (melted plug or discolored prong).

If you are safe working around 120 VAC, with all 120 VAC off, open the shore power inlet and ATS and check carefully for signs of overheating and/or loose connections. If you are not comfortable doing this step, have someone else do it.