Sign in to follow this  
boguslaw

PowerGear Slide Closes But Slip Out 3/4"

I have a 07 Country Coach Tribute that uses PowerGear motors to operate the slides. The kitchen slide will open and close normally but will extend 1/2"-3/4" while driving. It's been fine for years so this is a new issue.

I know from reading previous posts and reviewing a PowerGear manual that the motors have a brake. I suspect that after closing(or opening) the brake is engaged and holds the slide in its extended or retracted position.

Does this sounld like a brake issue? Fortunately, the slide only moves out a small amount. I think I should address it before it decides to move a lot while driving!

Any help would be appreciated. I read a lot of slide issue posts but none seem to match my situation.

Jim Boguslaw

07 Country Coach Tribute

Jim,

From under the coach, using a pair of channel lock pliers; grip the drive link from the motor and the shaft connecting the drive motor to the rack gear to see if one or the other moves or if they move equally or not at all.

You will be looking for any movement in the gearbox / lash or movement in the drive link with the motor an the gearbox assembly not moving.

The locking arm in the motor, locks the motor shaft. So if the motor does not move there is some play in the linkage that could indicate wear in the system. The kitchen slides tend to be the heaviest loaded slide.

Is the 1/2in to 3/4in. gap equal at both ends of the slide?

Rich.

Thanks for responding, Rich. It looks like the rear part of the slide is the full 3/4" while the front is closer to the 1/2". It must only straighten up when it is all the way in and hitting the stops. Excessive play in the gearing makes sense and that test you prescribed would confirm it. I'll give it a try.

Jim Boguslaw

07 Counrty Coach Tribute