Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Power Steering Maintenance

The maintenance of power steering systems is often one of the items that often gets overlooked until it fails.

Many of the newer coaches use the same hydraulic pumps that power the steering to power cooling fans for the radiator and the CAC.

The older coaches used hydraulic pressure for just the steering systems and do not require a flush and replacement of the fluid used or filters that need replacement on a regular bases.

It is always good to flush and replace the fluid when it starts to take on that dirty look. The discoloration is relatively easy on system using Dextron / Mercron as it changes from a pink / red color to brown or black color.

Edit! Brett makes a good point. Listed below ! One does need to replace with the same type fluid. SO check closely before adding or replacing the fluid.

Thanks Brett !

However, newer coaches, many of them using the side mounted Radiator and CAC now use hydraulic systems to power the cooling fan motors.

With this change, procedures where put in place; requiring the system to be flushed and new filters installed at 5000 hr. intervals. The intervals can very, so take time to look over you coach chassis maintenance schedules.

One link that offers an insight into the process. It is listed as a information starting point and what the process entails.

Power Steering Service Product

http://www.wynnsusa.com/powersteering.aspx

Rich.

An important note: There have been a variety of fluids used in hydraulic systems on RV's over the years/models.

BE SURE TO USE THE ONE THAT IS CORRECT FOR YOUR COACH/CHASSIS.

Some use hydraulic oil, some ATF, some engine oil. DO NOT MIX.

Some have changeable filters, some do not.

An important note: There have been a variety of fluids used in hydraulic systems on RV's over the years/models.

Yes and Monaco used all 3 so double check, yellow diesel oil 15/40, red or pinkish Dexron probably lll, almost clear w/a light yellow tent AW 46. i guess they used what was handy.

Hey Brett:

My Holiday Rambler came with Dextron III. Is it a bad idea to use full syntec? I do a fair amount of winter travel in Canada where the temps are normally well below zero. What do you think?

Hey Brett:

My Holiday Rambler came with Dextron III. Is it a bad idea to use full syntec? I do a fair amount of winter travel in Canada where the temps are normally well below zero. What do you think?

Sorry, above my pay grade. Dexron III has pretty low viscosity. But, I do not know if extreme cold would call for another fluid.

Hey Brett:

Not Brett, but a Canadian.

Dexron III is a good choice for the hydraulic system in Canada. Synthetic hydraulic oil will be fine. Be warned thought, that synthetic oil in older systems can cause oil leakages from seals not designed for synthetic oil. If it was mine, I would use Dexron III. That's what I use in mine.

Jim