Sign in to follow this  
elainebwilbanks@yahoo.com

Ideas For First Road Trip Out West From Anderson, SC

Question

This is our first trip in Class A motor home.

Would like to know if anyone has any trips they have taken mapped out with campgrounds and places visited, that would be willing to share with us. We live in Anderson, SC.

We plan to follow Gulf coast to Texas to visit family. From Texas we don't know where we should go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to go out west, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, etc.

We are wanting to take other trips, so, any input from the "pros" on different road trips would be welcomed.

Thanks, in advance for any help you may be.

7 answers to this question

Once you get to Texas you can get back up N. to I-40 and it's nearly a straight shot with lots to see along the way. Once you get to Flagstaff you will get off the Interstate and AZ 180 but it's an easy drive with no particular issues.

Interstate 10 pretty much runs the Southern route all the way out and we took this in October because we were concerned about driving through the mountains with the possibility of snow.

We started in Minnesota and Iowa had already received snow so we straight-lined down I-35. We did zip up to I-40 to do Oklahoma City, Amarillo and Albuquerque then dropped down I-25 to do Las Cruces and jumping back on I-10.

Roads were very good and lots of good campgrounds close to the route.

Scenery from Las Cruces to LA is not as good as I-40 but safer with winter weather.

When are you planning this trip? Spring, summer, fall, winter? We left the Houston area about a month ago making a "loop" to northern New Mexico, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and we're coming back the southerly route of Phoenex, Las Cruces, El Paso, Austin, Houston.

Be advised even though all the roads are good, the wind in the spring can be brutal. Constant 20mph with gusts to 45 is not uncommon this time of year.

We stayed in some great RV Resorts and a Walmart or two.

We are planning on leaving the end of April or the first of May, unless there is a better time for travel out west. We have never driven anywhere in these areas. Have always flown everywhere we have gone, so, to say the least, this is going to be a new experience for us. A little scarey. That is why we would like advice on the best routes to go and maybe some favorite campgrounds. Did not know that the winds in the spring were so bad. I have a brother in Gun Barrel City Texas, so, we plan going there second from Gulf Coast of Florida. After that, we are not sure what is the best route.

Yep, most of the state (TX) has been under wind advisories this week including Gun Barrel City. Usually by May the winds have calmed down in TX. BTW, to you non Texans, that is a city near Dallas and its not to be confused with the city of Cut and Shoot which is near Houston.

You may want to check in to the FMCA trip routing service. Its one of the member benefits. I've never used it I just know its available.

Yes we hit wind on rt 10 in western TX and eastern AZ it didn't affect us to bad. Fuel mileage went from 9 to 6.6 and had to slow a bit. We saw saw a fifth wheel pulled by a tractor almost lose it. It was wiping it's tail across both lanes and I was sure it was going to jackknife but he recovered thank goodness. When he slowed down more we got around him.