Sign in to follow this  
jrs1958

Towing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4 x 4

I am thinking of purchasing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4 x 4 to tow behind my Newmar Dutchstar. Is it necessary to get the Jeep transmission Active Drive II option to flat tow the vehicle? and what does that option do?

I have purchased a 2014 Jeep Limited and I knew it had to have the Active Drive II as it is the only Transfer Unit with a Neutral position. The parts for the tow bar hook-up and brakes are on order. I have gone thru the manual and am concerned that there is no mention about releasing the steering wheel lock. The only thing I found was a reference to a fuse for the Electric Steering Column Lock. The new May Motorhome magazine has a letter to "techsavy Coach & Powertrain" regarding front end damage to a jeep caused by the column lock. However, I suspect this is the manual key system versus the electronic remote key my system has. Any feedback regarding this issue would be appreciated.

Are you sure that your Jeep has a steering wheel lock? My Grand Cherokee does not, and the Wrangler before it didn't either!

I checked with the service rep at the dealer and was informed that jeep no longer uses the steering column lock starting somewhere around 2008.

ps. This Jeep is great !!!