Sign in to follow this  
loriscribe

Low Park Voltage

I know I've seen several articles on this subject here in the past but can't find it when I need it. I'm parked at a Pacific Northwest RV park two blocks from the ocean. I was here also last October. Both then and now my AC volt meter which stays plugged into the outlet, is reading 108-110 consistently. Last October when I was at this same park in a different site it was the same reading and I got shrugs from the park managers. Then, as now, I switched to LP for everything. that can be switched. I'm camping with a group and many aren't aware of the dangers of low voltage. Could someone address these concerns in some detail since I'm getting blank stares when I talk about the problem?

Standards for 120 VAC are 120 +/- 10%. So, 108-132.

The critical issue is what is voltage when you turn on 120 VAC appliances, particularly those with higher amp draws such as A/C's.

If voltage does not drop below 107/108 under load, you are doing no harm.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Wolfe10. The readings previously given of 108-110 were the readings with no appliances running, fridge and heat on propane, without any outlets or overhead lights being used with the exception of the computer being plugged in and active and whatever "scavengers" that are ever-present. The volt meter had normal readings last week at a different park. My coffee pot normally uses four volts, so I had to go outside to the 20A pedestal outlet for that. If I'd used it inside, I would have had a low reading of 104.

I understand.

One correction, your coffee pot uses for 4 AMPS of 120 VAC.

Amps time Volts= Watts, so it uses 480 watts of power-- not much compared with, say an A/C or even a 1500 watt hair dryer.

BTW, some items are less sensitive to low voltage-- resistance heaters for example. And, read the voltage range for your converter or inverter/charger. Many operate over a wider voltage range as well.

Brett

Voltage may or may not decrease as appliances are turned on. If you have solid 110V power and it remains at or near 110 when you run your A/C, microwave or coffee pot then you really don't have any issues. If you see a substantial drop in voltage when you try to run these devices then you need to get yourself to another park!