Sign in to follow this  
Ruthann2222@hotmail.com

Barbecues: Which are best?

We are two brand new RVers and we are wondering what most people use for outdoor barbecueing. My husband thinks by now someone should have invented a slide out BBQ coming out of the side of the RV. I think he's a little nuts!

Anyway, we have seen some pretty compact looking campfire in a can type things and wonder if they are an accident waiting to happen or the best thing since sliced bread. Are the fire pit types the best, or what?

Haven't had any experience with the firepits,,,,but they look interesting,,

We use a coleman grill with a side burner,,,,and an 11lb tank with hose. I like it, because of the side burner,,,,which I use to cook zee fish and shrimps,,,which DW does not like to smell up the rv. The grill has a lid which locks closed and a grease tray...

Also,,,,if I could provide you with a little information about your user name,,,,,it looks like your email address....you may not be aware,,,if it is your email address,,,,,potentially,,,you may end up getting a lot of unwanted spam emails......not from this site but from others that are able to scan various websites and collect emails that are listed in various places...

Anyway,,,just thought I would bring that to your attention..

I have also seen a lot of great reviews for the baby weber grillls....

my pleasure,,,,not sure if you knew or not.

I'm sure you will get some more input on the grills,,,,I have been set in my ways on the coleman we use,,,it is the second one,,,,although I have been tempted to try one of the stainless steel types.

I am still looking for a self cleaning grillllllll,,,,,,lol.

Here is a link for the grill,,,,,However,,,,I was able to get one for a lot less than advertised here,,,,actually at a coleman outlet store in Florida.

Coleman Grill

9922-700_200.jpg

I also got a flat grill grate,,,to cook bacon and eggs. Nothing like the smell of bacon in the morning outside while roughing it smoothly.......I got rid of the little portable gas canisters,,,,and picked up an 11lb gas tank and hose.....now,,,I don't have to mess with storing or running out of gas with the little canisters....good luck

Guest Wayne77590

I'm not sure if there is a "best," but there are certainly preferences.

If you have the storage space, we use the Coleman Road Trip LXE even though I don't use it as much as my DW would like me to. It takes the little propane bottles, or you can get one of the larger bottles or an additional hose to your present propane tank. I am also waiting for the self cleaning grill to come out.

Hey! Maybe someone can invet a pop-up throw-away. (Remember, I get a percentage cut as being my idea.)

We have tried more than one bbq. Our last one was a Thermos 2 Go grill. It was nice in some respects as it is easier to clean up but doesn't heat very well. We now have a Weber Baby Q and we really like it. It is fairly easy to clean and it seems to heat evenly. We purchased the cart for it so it takes up a little room in the bay but we haven't been disappointed with the grill at all. It is also lighter in weight than our previous T 2 Go.

When one of you invents that self cleaning grill PLEASE let me know....I will be your first customer!! I love to cook but I really hate cleaning those grills. It's a messy job and ruins the nails!! :rolleyes:

I have a couple points to consider. Watch out for the btu ratings. Some bar-b-ques look nice but have low btu's so they have a devil of a time cooking steaks, etc. There is one model of bar-b-que that uses a smaller than standard propane tank that is not readily available. Another point is that some are pretty wide and large. Make sure that you have the space to store them. You may need a wire table for them if they don't come with tall legs because most RV parks do not have tables or do not want you to put your bar-b-que on the table.

Don't forget, a propane shop can tap into your propane line so you don't have to carry an extra bottle. Love my little propane grill which is self cleaning, well it is if I call Pat "self", but when I do, she tells me to clean it my"self". :rolleyes:

I have used the Weber "Q" grill for about 3 years now and it has worked well and heats up enough to be able to sear steaks. To me that is the most important thing for a grill is high BTU's. I have the folding cart/stand and it collapses so it does not take up much room. I also purchased a separate 5 pound external propane tank and a hose so I do not have to worry about running out using those small cylinders.

We've had the Weber Baby Q for 3 years. I bought and installed a Tee on the MH propane tank so I don't need to carry any extra bottles. It heats up fast and cooks a steak great. I even use it to cook breakfast outside. I use a small griddle to cook bacon or sausage and eggs outside and it helps to keep the inside still smelling clean.

There are Rvs that have a BBQ that attaches to your propane and slides out (only problem the smoke goes right in the windows and sets off the fire detector) The one I owned was an Alegro Bay. Now I have a Monaco and I love the gas BBQ I bought with legs that detach. It attaches to a small propane bottle and is easy to store underneath. Purchased at camping world about 7 years ago. They may still have them. About $120.00. when I bought it.

We are two brand new RVers and we are wondering what most people use for outdoor barbecueing. My husband thinks by now someone should have invented a slide out BBQ coming out of the side of the RV. I think he's a little nuts!

Anyway, we have seen some pretty compact looking campfire in a can type things and wonder if they are an accident waiting to happen or the best thing since sliced bread. Are the fire pit types the best, or what?

I prefer charcoal and am using a small grill from Camping World. They don't have my specific model on the website but the Charcoal Tabletop Grill is very close to what we have. Priced at under $25, mine is going on year number 4. It is small and stores easily. Most campgrounds won't allow table top grills so I end up using it on the ground most of the time. The grill surface is just right for most BBQing for two people.

A friend of mine had a grill that attached to a bracket on the edge of his motor home. He got rid of it because it smoked and greased up the side of his rig.

We used an inexpensive Sunbeam grill (the small red one that so many RVers used) for six years but it just gave up the ghost and it's no longer produced.

We bought a small Charbroil grill but it cooks very unevenly and won't stay lit unless it's on full heat. It's going to the dump.

We just ordered the Weber Baby Q (Weber 386002 Q-100 Portable Gas Grill) from Amazon.com for $149 with free shipping.

I found it online as cheap as $139 but the shipping was over $20.

I added an "Extend a Stay" Tee to my on board propane tank so I can use it instead of the small bottles.

It also allows me to use a portable external tank instead of the on board tank for the motor home. That way I don't have to move the motor home to fill up. Several places we stay don't have services that come to the RV park to fill the on board tanks.

There was an incident at Tunnel Mountain in Banff,Alberta two years ago where a couple from Texas had a slide out BBQ. They had their dinner and decided to go in to Banff. They slid their BBQ back under & while they were in Banff their motorhome caught on fire. They lost everything. They obviously put it away while it was still hot....On a happier note we have a Coleman roadtrip LXE grill with attached stand. It folds down for easy storage.Costs about $199.00. My husband likes it better than the natural gas BBQ we have at home.

I see that you have already recieved many replies. I use the Coleman Roadtrip. It out performs the others. The BTU output is much higher than most others.

Concerning the roll out grill idea. I have seen some, but I have also seen the fiberglass siding that had been melted on coaches where the grill wad too close. Not a pleasant sight. Also very expensive to repair.

I hope that you are enjoying the RV loif style.

Jim France

F115685

We have had Weber Baby-Q for several years and we use it a lot. It has been travelling with us since before we had an RV. I do most of the grilling and like it at least as much as our old large home-based Weber. It is more than adequate for two of us and we've cooked steaks for as many as six. If you regularly cook for more than a few, you may want to consider the "Q". It takes up more space but has a lot more capacity. We added a folding stand a year or two ago and I recommend it. Two light weight compact saw-buck style folding aluminum tables from Walmart on the sides for landing areas make a handy outdoor cooking station. If you feel the need of a side burner as we sometimes do, an inexpensive butane tabletop burner, available at most flea markets for $20 to $30, works well.

Happy trails and happy grilling

Bill

I'll add my vote for the Weber Baby Q. It's big enough to cook for three or four, but small and light enough to go in a storage bin easily. We added a "tap" to our coach propane tank, so we can use either the small propane bottles or the coach tank. We bought the folding cart that goes with the grill and it also works well.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...ategoryid=27401

the above link is to the Coleman Propane distribution Tree. If you do much cooking outside it is something you will want. Put it on your tank and you have threaded valved connections for your lantern, your BBQ and another item like maybe a heater. I use it almost every time we RV.

Both the Webber and the Road Trip are good BBQ's the coleman with the side burner looks interesting too.

I made a big mistake a few months ago and bought the Q220, it really puts out the btu's but it is also very large and HEAVY. I have decided to use it as my main bbq for home and have ordered the fancy cart and full cover. I am going to order the Q120 which is the same as the Q100 but it has the swing out shelves which I find very handy. A little info, the grill for the Q220 weighs **** near as much as the Q120 total. Not going to buy the fold up cart for the Q120, instead will use a couple of the cheepie fold up tables and a couple of pieces of 1/4 in plywood for the stand. Light weight and cheep. Might check into the Coleman grill, I like lots of heat!!

post-2279-1238690517_thumb.jpg

I just got the Coleman Roadtrip LXE grill and love it. Very versatil as it not only has the regular grill top but also has a griddle and a cook top for large pans so it is like having an out door kitchen. Easy to clean, comes apart for cleaning and it stores away really easy even has a case to put it in. It can be used on a table or use the nice stand that is so easy to set up plus very sturdy.

Wow! Alot of votes for the Baby Q & Roadtrip. I stood in Camping World a year ago for over an hour mulling over the grills. I bought the Olympian. PLENTY of heat for searing a steak. As a matter of fact, sometimes it's too-much heat. (Slow cooking ribs, etc.) But the Olympian is a decent size, cast aluminum & a compact size. I'd buy another if I had to.