bxplt

Route Across Texas-- I 10

Question

I'll soon be driving my Golden Eagle from Florida to Phoenix. I'm planning to just stay on 10. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Any nasty grades that aren't apparent? Also, anyone in the Phoenix area, any ideas for a reasonable shop for some engine work? Thanks -Bob

8 answers to this question

Bxpit,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While there are more scenic routes across Texas (U.S. 90 from San Antonio to Van Horn for example), I 10 is an easy shot all the way. Take I 12 in Louisiana-- shorter than staying on 10 and better road surface.

I have read really good reviews on the Oasis Freightliner dealer in Phoenix. Remember also, if your a FCOC member the discount available.

You don't say when you're traveling; the wind can be pretty fierce from central Texas to Phoenix. Heck, we had high wind advisories two days ago in the Houston area. I would recommend planning the drive through Houston either in the middle of the night or between 9:30am to 3:30pm. I always drive straight through as its quicker and much shorter than taking Loop 610 or the toll road. Unless you have an EZ-Tag for the toll charges, you may sit in long lines (10+ minutes) at each ticket booth.

Safe travels.

Thanks for the info , guys. Now for round 2. From Phoenix I'm heading to Seattle. I'm thinking' up thru Las Vegas and Bend Ore. to the Dalles and then Vancouver and up I-5. Anybody ever been that way? This will be in a couple of weeks so I'm thinking' the weather will be good. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid major passes and grades like grapevine and the Siskues (sp?). thanks

Actually, most if I 10 in Louisiana has been repaved. Less than 50 miles of hump de hump.

This was on the way back from Perry on Friday.