tilldee

Purchasing a 2007 34N Four Winds Hurricane Motorhome

We are in the process of purchasing this motorhome and are 1st timers. Would like any information concerning this model that would be useful to us. As you can imagine, we do have lots of jitters going on and any good advice will be appreciated.

It's got me wondering that not one person knows anything about a Four Winds Hurricane. Now we're more that jittery. :unsure: But anyhoo, we are going to love this coach and cannot wait to hit the road. I did read some good advice on here, and our first few trips out will be local jaunts to get used to everything and if we have trouble we will be close to home, and the dealer. :):):):)

Welcome to the forum.

We had a 2009 Hurricane 31H and really enjoyed it. Our longest trip was from our home in Kerrville, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico for the FMCA convention. If you have an opportunity to attend one of these, please do. You will learn so much in the seminars and from people you meet.

If you want more information on your new coach, visit the Thor website - http://thormotorcoach.com/document-archive.php?type=literature

After you get it loaded the way you want it, find a place to get it weighed. They will weigh each wheel location individually. Escapees provides this service as well as others.

Enjoy your new coach and take some time to get to know it.

Is any one in the Hurricane running the triton v10? if so what should one expext to have for gas millage at posted speed limits?

Welcome to the FMCA forum. If I remember correctly, the best mileage we got with our Hurricane was about 9.5 and that was on an flat Interstate, not towing and 55 mph. We usually averaged between 7 and 8.5 just according to the terrain and whether we were towing the Jeep. I usually set the cruise control around 60 but your mileage will decrease at higher speeds.

Imsooter, thank you for the information.

I had no idea about having the motorhome weighed once we got it all set up. That is a very good idea, and also thanks for the mileage update.

Ours too has the Ford Triton V10. I will be checking out the website you suggested. There is so much to learn, even though we have been campers with travel trailers since the 70's, motorhomes are a horse of a different color.

Thanks again.

Tilldee,
We also have a pretrip checklist we use each time we travel. If you would like a copy, PM (Private Message) me your email address and I will send it to you.

We have a 38' 2008 Challenger by Thor, V10 engine. Purchased new and have had very minor issues which were resolved easily. I travel between 58 - 62 mph usually, mileage varies from 7.5 - 8.5 towing or not. I tow a 2012 Hyundai Elantra on a Master Tow dolly. Mileage definitely varies with terrain and speed, have learned to not be in a hurry and travel about 300 miles a day. Enjoy your coach and safe travels to you. One other thing, check your tire pressure regularly and when you need new tires the FMCA Michelin program is fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. We don't know what we're going to tow. We have a 2011 Chevy Equinox and a 98 Blazer (that is near and dear to my heart). My first brand new vehicle that was all mine. :wub: I guess we'll need to decide what we are going to do, and then save up for the equipment it takes to pull something. Our coach has a Reese hitch on the back and will pull 5,000lbs from what I've read so far. There goes the gas mileage. :mellow:

Thanks to everyone for all the information. We don't know what we're going to tow. We have a 2011 Chevy Equinox and a 98 Blazer (that is near and dear to my heart). My first brand new vehicle that was all mine. :wub: I guess we'll need to decide what we are going to do, and then save up for the equipment it takes to pull something. Our coach has a Reese hitch on the back and will pull 5,000lbs from what I've read so far. There goes the gas mileage. :mellow:

If you haven't already looked at the FMCA towing information, use this link to get there http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing.

I took a look at the towing site, thanks. Then I went online to research towing our 98 Blazer 4WD. This is what I found. Does this seem correct to anyone?

Yes iticon1.png can, just place your Transfer Case in Neutral position.
Shifting into NEUTRAL
To shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL do the following:

Make sure the vehicleicon1.png is parked so that it will not roll.
Set the parking brake.
Start the vehicle or turn the ignition to RUN.
Connect the vehicle to the towing vehicle.
Put the transmission in NEUTRAL (N).
Shift the transfer case to 2HI.
Simultaneously press and hold the 2HI and 4LO buttons for 10 seconds. The red NEUTRAL light will come on when the transfer case shift to NEUTRAL is complete.
Shift the transmission to REVERSE ® for one second, then shift the transmission to DRIVE (D) for one second, or FIRST (1) for vehiclesicon1.pngequipped with a manual transmission.
Turn the ignition to LOCK.
Place the transmission shift lever in PARK (P), or FIRST (1) for vehicles with a manual transmission.
Release the parking brake prior to towing.

Shifting Out of NEUTRAL
To shift out of NEUTRAL:

Set the parking brake and apply the regular brake pedal.
Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL (N) and turn the ignition to RUN with the engine off.
Press the button for the desired transfer case shift position (2HI, 4HI, AUTO 4WDicon1.png or 4LO).
After the transfer case has shifted out of NEUTRAL the red light will go out.
Release the parking brake.
You may start the engine and shift the transmission to the desired position.
Excessively shifting the transfer case into or out of the different modes may cause the transfer case to enter the shift protection mode. This will protect the transfer case from possible damage and will only allow the transfer case to respond to one shift per 10 seconds. The transfer case may stay in this mode for up to three minutes.

NEUTRAL: Shift the vehicle's transfer case to NEUTRAL only when towing your vehicle.
Good luck and hope this answers your question.