Sign in to follow this  
dewat

Why the EZ-4 / EZ-5 Difference?

Greetings to all. Besides the obvious hardware, can anyone tell me the difference or need between RoadMaster's EZ-4 and EZ-5 baseplate? Now that I have my flat towing capable toad, I'm ready to get a baseplate. I prefer RoadMaster and was all set to get the 523173-4 (EZ-4 for a 2014 Chevy Sonic) baseplate when I learned that I still had to get additional brackets and a cross bar to attach a tow bar. For the same price, I can get the 523173-5 (EZ-5) baseplate which terminates with arms that look like they will attach directly to a tow bar... no additional hardware required. Does anyone know of a reason why someone would get a RoadMaster EZ-4 baseplate when they can get the RoadMaster EZ-5 baseplate which will do the same thing with less hardware (less places for something to go wrong)... or am I missing something???

post-23801-0-67914200-1395159048_thumb.j

As stated before do contact RoadMaster Customer Service, but I suggest that you get the one with the cross member. We are on our forth towing system from RoadMastter and that member will prevent damage to the frame of the auto in a jack knife situation. Also, should you decide to get a RoadMaster Guardian Rock shield, the brackets for the Guardian are attached to the ends.

Hard for me to compare baseplate for my toad as yours as it looks like the crossbar on your unit has the crossbar built in. The first one looks like it works with the older tow bar if you have accessories to attach to it as a shield to protect the toad. Of course I have the additional bracket so EZ-4 would work for me. I don't think you need another crossbar with either as both baseplates has it built in. The second one EZ-5 is more simplified set up as the tow bar hooks directly to it. Still call Roadmaster support.

I would think the EZ5 would be the way I would go as the Chevy Sonic probably weighs less than 2500 lb and really no reason to need the extra support of the X brace that the EZ4 would use. Wish I could have got a EZ5 instead the EZ2 on our Spark.

Walt