Sign in to follow this  
HarveyWhite

Brake System For The Toad

There are a number of them out there and they all seem to work pretty well.

I have a Brake Buddy that I have used for 11 full timing years and about 70,000 miles.

It failed in the activated mode and the control board was replaced at about 6 years - under warranty oddly enough, There had been a recall on the board I was not aware of - and the compressor was rebuilt at the same time - not under warranty.

I'm like you, and have been doing some research for immediate installation in a '14 Chevy Sonic. So far, I'm leaning towards the ReadyBrute Elite. I'm looking for the least intrusive proportional braking system that I can find. BTW... this may get better mileage in the Towing forum.

I also use a brake buddy for the last 10 years and pleased with it. Quick to put in or take out and easy for the wife while I unhitch the Saturn SC2.

This same question has been repeated many times in several different forums. A search of best toads or toad brake systems will most likely turn up several discussions. Any of several forums will also have these same discussions. That is one of the reasons why the owners have placed a search function near the top of the page.

Sorry, there is no such thing as the "ideal toad braking system" for all coach/toad combinations.

Some work well with an air brake coach, but fit a limited number of toads (due to underhood layout).

Some are permanent installed-- great if you plan on keeping the toad for a long time-- not so good if you tow different vehicles or trade often.

Some are easily moved from toad to toad, but are bulky and require setting up each time you tow.

The poster child for this is Roadmaster who makes a variety of different toad braking systems-- the recognize there is no "one size fits all".

Personally, I would avoid any system that depends on inertia and pushes on the brake pedal and toad seat. I have the advantage of having a coach with air brakes and my toad system has an air line connected to the coach air brakes so that the toad brakes are applied only when I press the brake pedal. There are at least a couple of of good systems and you can find many comments if you research past forums on this subject.

Please believe me that I am not arguing, but more or less proving Brett's point that there is no one size fits all (also, to each his/her own)...

I want an inertia type supplemental brake system, because I want a system that will also help when I am using the exhaust brake. This is why I'm leaning toward the ReadyBrute Elite.

If you have a Class A coach with air brakes, I wouldn't use anything other than the M & G.

I agree-- the M&G is an excellent system. Yet there are a number of toads that do not have room to move the master cylinder forward from the vacuum booster to accommodate the M&G brake (including our Ford Focus that makes a great light-weight tow car)!

Again, there is NO single brake that fits all needs.

I have used the M&G Engineering brake on a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu and now a 2005 Jeep Wrangler and soon to be 2014 Jeep Wrangler. I installed the system on the Chev and 05 Wrangler and will install on the 14 Wrangler.

Other than the non-proportional braking capability of most of the "brake in a box", what do you do with that big box once you arrive at your destination?

Be sure to check out SMI Air Force One or SMI Stay In Play Duo.

Excellent systems, simple to use. Once installed, zero set up, just flip a switch.

Have had mine for 4 years and 50 K works great.

I second "macandphyl" on the SMI. We have their unit in a gas motorhome and a Toyota Corolla. It is unobtrusive and set up is to flip a switch next to my left foot in the driver's compartment.

Sam

Appreciate the input. I like the idea of using the air brakes off the coach, seems though the brake buddy would be easy to install, just what to do with it when not in use. the air cylinder wouldn't be hard to put away. I will be checking out the M&G that's a new one on me, THX guy's..

Harvey,

Check M & G's web site. They have a listing where you can check if they make on to fit your vehicle. You may call Marty and he will give you the cost and if he has one for your vehicle. Great tech and a great Braking System.

M & G Engineering

Hwy 19

P. O. Box 1107

Athens, TX 75751

903-675-1147

Herman Mullins