Sign in to follow this  
mpierce

Tandem Towing Dolly Experience

We are purchasing a BB Wanderlodge tag axle MH. We have a VW Jetta, auto, so we have to use a dolly. We also will be taking along a sidecar rig. I am thinking a tandem dolly, with the hack on front of the Jetta, is the way to go.

Anyone with experience? Thank you.

Congratulations on the Wanderlodge, and welcome to FMCA. Wanderlodge is a great unit and should last a lifetime if well cared for. On your question of a tandem dolly, I don't that I understand. Are you contemplating a tow dolly behind a tow dolly, or are you referring to tandem wheels on a single tow dolly? If you are referring to two tow dollies, then you should be aware of triple towing laws, as they vary from state to state, "http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html" is a good site for that reference. I suppose that term "hack" is referring to the sidecar. I met a gentleman on I-10 last month that had modified a tow dolly with a platform built into the tow dolly that looked like a reasonable way to go. If you would like details, I will gladly pm them to you.

Kay

That is exactly what the gent in Fla. on I-10 was towing and he said worked great for him. Wish I had gotten his name and add., he no longer uses the platform, and indicated that he would like to trade..

Sorry, didn't get a name, he was not an FMCA member, but his coach was licensed in Minnesota.

The rig was Monoco Diplomat.

We have pulled a tandem tow dolly for the past couple years and just sold it this year not because we didn't like it but because the width of our new toad did not fit. We purchased ours at the manufacture located in Morissville NC. We towed a GMC Envoy and I hauled a HD Ultra on the platform. Hope this helps.

Been trying to contact Race City RV Products. Their web site is not working and the phone is non working. Seems like they went out of business, Does anybody have any info on this?

I purchased a Tandem Tow Dolly August 2013 from the manufacturer which is Elite Metal Performance 117 Infield Ct Mooresville,NC 28117 704-663-4358.

I picked my up in NC and I used it for the first time going from Illinois to Florida for the winter, I take my golf cart & tow my Mini Cooper. I love the trailer they are expensive but in my opinion well worth the cost.

I did have some issues with the paint chipping off 90% of the frame which I am not happy at all about because they claim the trailers are powder coated, I read the warranty and it states in the paint warranty that of paint is damaged by road salt it will not be covered under warranty. While traveling through southern Illinois we did drive through snow and the highway had been salted and when we stopped in Kentucky I found salt on the trailer and cleaned it off but could not wash the trailer due to the weather. I spoke with a local sandblaster/powder coating company and they want $1000.00 to sandblast & powder coat the frame. I have not spoken with Elite about the problem but I sent an email using their website about a week ago and they have not yet responded so I plan on calling them tomorrow . Hopefully being that the trailer is less than a year old they will take care of the paint problem but I will have to wait & see.

Either way I have no regrets buying the Tandem Tow Dolly.

Hope this info helps.

Wanted to give an up date on my Tandem Tow Dolly, I contacted Elite Metal Performance about the paint chipping off the trailer and the lady I spoke with asked if I could send photos which I did and then she called me back about three days later and said that because road salt caused the paint to chip & then the metal to rust they would not repair the trailer. I tried to argue the fact that the trailer that cost me $5,670.00 is less than a year old and that I should be able to use it in the winter weather they still would not agree to repair the paint damage, but she did say if I wanted to bring it back to the factory they would take a look at it but she never said that they would repair the damage. I did consider taking the trailer back to them but the cost involved and the 1600 mile round trip would not be cost effective for me.

We are also members of Good Sam so I wrote to Good Sam Action Line about the problem with my trailer and Action Line said they would contact Elite Metal Performance and after 30 days if they get no response they would attempt a second contact and then if there is no response after 20 days they would close the case.

So for now just waiting for Elite Metal Performance to respond to Action Line I still have some hope that they will stand behind their product and make this right.

In closing I would recommend that anyone thinking of purchasing the Tandem Tow Dolly from Elite Metal Performance in Mooresville NC ask if it is ok to use the trailer in the winter on roadways where salt is used.

Living in areas where salt is used during the winter is definitely challenging.

I use A product called Chassis Saver as the undercoat or just leave the item black or silver(color of the paint).

It is not cheap ! And one needs to keep from getting on yourself or where you do not want it. Also ! when it drys, between 2 parts, they are like welded together!

Kind of like a liquid metal.

It reacts to moisture(the catalyst)for it to start setting up. Do not poor any of it back into the can, The remaining paint will set up.

Put plastic wrap between the lid and the can before sealing it, or you will not get the lid off with out a struggle!

Rich.

It wears off ones skin, will not wash off.

Can you use either trailer by themselves? If you can has anyone done this and individually how do they tow?

Not quite sure what you are asking. Tandem tow trailers are only one trailer, not two. There is an extended tongue, with a platform on it for the MC ahead of the car.

You should check with the State that you live some require plates on a tow dolly & some don't, like Illinois as long as the vehicle being towed has valid plates the tow dolly does not need to be plated.

I contacted elite metal in Mooresville NC and they had me call a company in Holly Hill Fl. to order my trailer and send the money to Florida. I live in NC so I was told that I could go to the plant and pick up my trailer. Also are you satisfied about the paint job on your trailer?

Thanks for all the information about the tandem tow dolly also I'm sorry about your problem with the paint. I was looking for a way to carry my car and golf cart @ the same time. I thought about in the back of a pick up truck but after some serious thought the tandem tow dolly was the answer. Based on your advice before I paid I did ask about the warranty due to weather. The short answer is they do not cover the paint or any cosmetic issues but would be willing to re-paint within the first year. Being in NC and traveling to Florida for the winter salt has never been a problem. Anyway I got it home, it loads well and plan on a short test trip before heading to Florida. Again thanks for the info.

Has anyone tried to adjust the brakes? You can't, due the placement of the spindle on the frame not allowing room for a brake adjusting tool or screwdriver to spin the adjuster. A fatal flaw in my opinion.