Sign in to follow this  
Adonh

Replacing Michelin Energy Tires

I am looking to replace the current Michelin 275/70/22.5 XZA2 Energy Tires soon that have DOT of early 2009. But according to Michelin these tires are on back order. I did heard back from a local Michelin dealer here in the the Houston TX area that he can get a set of 6 Michelin XZE2+ 275/70/22.5 tires and he is checking on the dates.

Here are the specs on both tires.

XZE2+
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE®2+ Page

XZA2 Energy
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZA2® Energy™ Page

No real difference in size, or load ratings, both LR J. The Energy tire is designated as an RV tire and the XZEA2+ is designated as a regional tire.

I am going through the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program and the dealer does participate in the program. The XZE2+ is not listed in the Michelin Advantage Tire brochure but the dealer said another customer had talked with FMCA and said that they were also included.

Before I go further, does anyone have any experience with this tire or any comments on as a replacemnt for the Energy tires. Thanks

Tires made in 2009 should still be good. I have the same tires and love them on my coach. I know RV tires are suppose to be long haul tires as so many tires are for short runs. I don't know what "Regional" means.

I am in Houston also. I am also in the market for new tires. I have 7 year old 305/70R22.5 on my coach. One of the rear tires has what looks like a cut as opposed to age wear. I called Strouhal in north Conroe to order a set and was told that these are on back order. He also said that if the cut was not deep (relative to what?) I should be OK to do a planned trip to Dallas.

More pertinent to the thread.,. His comment was that the XZEs are more sold to local fire departments, trash trucks, ambulances etc., not so much for high-speed (over 70mph) highway driving.

Has anyone else heard this relative to XZEs?

Try Hankook many that have tried them love them AH-12 great ride. I have some friends that are using them on there fleets and are getting great performance.

John, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

I have used XZE tires and have had good over all performance. Tires on Rv's tend to age out before they ware out.

I must admit that I'm not much for driving 70 MPH, as the mileage drops off considerably and we are not in any real hurry when touring around the country.

You my want to look over FMCA's tire program, when pricing tires.

I also have friends that use Hankook - AH-12 tires and they have been very happy with them. The Key is to watch the clearance between tires on the rear, the weight of the coach loaded relative to the tire weight range and tire pressure.

You might take a look at the Tire safety thread and the post by Tireman, a retired tire engineer.

Rich.

Don

I note that the XZA2 Energy has deeper tread. 1/32 isn't a lot but it will probably affect fuel economy a bit with the deeper tread tire being worse. (Unless Michelin wants to state otherwise in writing).

I wouldn't get too hung up of "Regional" service as most truck tires seem to use "Long Haul" or "Regional" or "local delivery" to describe their tires expected usage.

I would generally not consider "local delivery" for RV use unless the tire MFH identified the tire as approved for RV usage.

"Long Haul" implied high mileage long wear and I see no reason to pay for tread you are not going to use.

Other than than that either tire is probably OK for your application.

I am in Houston also. I am also in the market for new tires. I have 7 year old 305/70R22.5 on my coach. One of the rear tires has what looks like a cut as opposed to age wear. I called Strouhal in north Conroe to order a set and was told that these are on back order. He also said that if the cut was not deep (relative to what?) I should be OK to do a planned trip to Dallas.

More pertinent to the thread.,. His comment was that the XZEs are more sold to local fire departments, trash trucks, ambulances etc., not so much for high-speed (over 70mph) highway driving.

Has anuone else heard this relative to XZEs?

Basically if you can see any cord or steel at the bottom of a cut or snag you should be replacing the tire. If you use a flat blade screw driver to pry the cut open and see anything that looks like cord you should replace the tire.

Don

I note that the XZA2 Energy has deeper tread. 1/32 isn't a lot but it will probably affect fuel economy a bit with the deeper tread tire being worse. (Unless Michelin wants to state otherwise in writing).

I wouldn't get too hung up of "Regional" service as most truck tires seem to use "Long Haul" or "Regional" or "local delivery" to describe their tires expected usage.

I would generally not consider "local delivery" for RV use unless the tire MFH identified the tire as approved for RV usage.

"Long Haul" implied high mileage long wear and I see no reason to pay for tread you are not going to use.

Other than than that either tire is probably OK for your application.

Great info, I am going to follow up on these and will upadte this in a few days.

Thanks