Sign in to follow this  
johnschnee

New RVers - Outfitting Question For First Trip

We've just recently purchased our first motorhome (2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35') - actually bought it in Feb but won't pick it up & drive it back to PA until late April - and although our brother & sister-in-law, who've had motorhomes or 5th wheel for about 6 years & have been a HUGE help we'd like to know from this forum:

"What did you NOT have but wish you had taken along on YOUR first trip with your motorhome? What did you have to run out and get as soon as you got back from YOUR first trip?" Appreciate any WORDS OF WISDOM! :D THANKS!!!

Welcome to the FMCA forum, and congrats on your new coach. We don't know what your coach is already equipped with so many items that we needed may already be in yours.

Have your honey to go through it and take inventory, then make a list of what is missing, then go and stock up every other item on the list. Take a weekend outing to get acquainted with camping. Come back home and throw out all unnecessary items for the next trip. Hope you enjoy RV'ing as much as most of us do.

Kay

Spend a weekend in the coach-- even if it is in the back yard. Best way to see what things you want to have along. Keep a pad of paper by your side of the bed and hers-- add things as you think of them.

Consider what you would want at home during a similar time period. Within reason duplicate it (assuming you don't collect bowling balls, etc).

This is RVing, NOT roughing it!

My wife and I ordered a 2014 Itasca Spirit 31kp in September from the dealer 1 mile from the Winnebago factory. We picked it up from the dealer on Dec. 3rd and drove it back to Florida. We sent out the basic to the dealer to hold for us until we flew out to pick it up. Sent towels, linens, pots and pans, few silverware, some clothing for the changing weather coming back. After picking up the coach, we drove to the nearest Walmart and bought some china, small space heater, food and beverages. Had all the basics, didn't spend time sitting under the awning in lounge chairs, so we didn't need those items. We made a list as we traveled back what we might need if we were staying in one place longer. Had a great time (10 to 12 days), traveling back to Florida, learning what we might need on future trips. Have fun in your new coach, enjoy.

Thanks to all for your input - I'm sure we'll figure all this out over time. Frankly I think that "honey-bunch" is going to enjoy the shopping, decorating & outfitting as much as we both look forward to the actual traveling! :)

Congratulations, Johnschnee, on your new coach! Everyone has their own style of "camping". When we got our first motorhome, at first I stocked it with paper plates, plastic ware, etc like we used when we camped for years with our kids. I soon realized this was a different type of camping in the MH and ended up stocking with dishes, silverware, linens, pots and pans, etc. I like cooking in our MH, whereas, in a tent and pop-up camper I didn't. But we travel with some other MH owners that don't cook at all and prefer eating out. So to each his own and you and your wife will figure yours out.

Enjoy the journey! It's a wonderful lifestyle!

Be sure to spend a long time during the "walk through" before acceptance. Write down the details of items. IE: Filling fresh water holding tank, dumping, battery shut off switches, outlets on the inverter circuit, setup of TV, how to level coach, etc.

Take your cell phone and be sure to have the dealers number and factory number for assistance.

Just watch your daily life for those things you use every day! You will keep using them in your coach. Most RVer s have two of everything so they don't forget something when loading and simply don't have to load it. Phone chargers, toiletries, toasters, etc. One thing for sure you will miss if you don't have it is adequate rain gear, especially shoes.

I agree with Brett. We were full time for 10 years before buying a house and going part time. Now, at the beginning of each trip we spend several nights in the motor home while parked in our driveway. That gives us a chance to live in the coach and use the contents. The items we use frequently and have forgotten to pack are quickly apparent. Beyond that, we've always said that if we forget something Wal-Mart will have it. There will always be something that you forget to load. You can make a long checklist if you do that kind of thing, it might help. Every trip is different, some we need snorkeling gear, some we need winter coats, for others we might pack special hiking equipment. With a large motor home you can take it all but that creates packing problems. The thing you need most will be at the back of some compartment behind six items you won't use on this trip.

Enjoy the experience!