DennisSolow

Extended Warranties for Class A Diesel Motorhome

Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. There are several good extended warranty companies out there and a few that are no so good. Check this forum for the topic extended warranties and you will get a perspective of good and bad. Also you might check with the service department in a few RV dealers in your area for which companies pay on-time etc.

Good Sam Extended Warranty doesn't cover anything.

My experience with Good Sam Extended Warranty (which is actually written by QBE Insurance of America, a company in Australia) has been totally unsatisfactory.

If you have an older motor home (mine is a 2006 model), you will likely find out that a lot of items that you would think are covered are not.

My most recent experience is with the leveling jacks on my 2006 National Tropi-Cal. The jacks are made by Power Gear, a well-known name in the industry.

The motor on my leveling jacks went bad and has to be replaced. After a long series of phone calls and e-mails and ordered parts, I have learned that the original equipment motor for the leveling jacks is no longer made. And the replacement motor for the jacks does not fit the manifold assembly of the original motor.

That would seem to be a simple issue of ordering a new manifold to fit the new motor. And obviously, that would seem to be covered under my Good Sam Extended Warranty because there is no way that the new motor would fit the old manifold. And therefore, the jacks will not work.

However, I soon learn a new wrinkle in the legalize of the Good Sam Extended Warranty. According to their agent, they will only pay for the replacement motor for the jacks because that is the only thing that has gone bad.

It makes no difference that the motor does not fit the manifold and replacing the motor in and of itself will not make the jacks work. The manifold must be replaced in order for the new motor to be able to operate the jacks.

If this makes sense to anyone, I'd like to know.

I have an extended warranty which covers the jacks, but because the company that makes the jacks no longer makes the same pump/manifold as was originally installed, my warranty will not cover getting the jacks back to working order because only the motor went bad, not the manifold. And the manifold does not fit the new pump. And they won't pay for the manifold that goes with the new pump.

Doesn't make sense.

This isn't my first negative experience dealing with the Good Sam Extended Warranty.

My first experience involved a slide out that stopped working. The slide stopped working because of water intrusion and resulting deterioration of the floor beneath the slide. Come to find out that the Good Sam Extended Warranty doesn't cover this because, as I was told by the Insurance Agent, I didn't sign up for option of Seals and Gaskets.

So, the next time I renew my policy, I add the option to cover seals and gaskets.

Then this year I have a problem with a different slide. This time, when the repair facility goes to get authorization for coverage of the repairs, I find out that the Seals and Gasket coverage that I was told by the Good Sam insurance agent I needed to cover the cost of the earlier slide out repair does not cover anything on the slides.

The bottom line, if you are considering Good Sam Extended Warranty on your motor home, have your lawyer look at the policy and be sure you understand that basically, you are buying an extremely limited policy and that there are more exclusions than coverage.

And don't expect the Good Sam Extended Warranty to cover anything that may go wrong with you RV.

Dave Inscoe

“Not a Happy Camper”

I too purchased an extended warranty from Pro Trek from Wholesale Warranties. Recently had problems with my Allison transmission and all repairs were handled in a professional manner. Check with Wholesale Warranties for pricing for your rig.

After researching EWs and pricing them, we decided not to get one. At the cost of some of those annual premiums, you could pay a lot of out of pocket expenses.

I would like to hear some more opionions on Extended Warranties. We have a 2012 Forest River have looked at a couple of EWs options. One is the one offered by Wholesale Warranties. Anybody had any experience with this provider. They seem to cover about everything according to the salesperson.

Thanks for your comments.

Extended warranty companies are in business to make money. Read the contract as most of them have as many holes in them as a 10# onion sack. The salesman is being totally honest.. they cover "about" everything. Find out what they don't cover, you may be surprised.

I, like many others, chose to be self insured. Just make sure you read and understand any contract before you sign.

I used Good Sam for my last 3 MH.

No problems, everything I’ve turned in has been covered

On things that got a little iffy, they would normally split the cost (50/50)

I’ve had my best luck letting the dealership handle things with Good Sam

I also decided to bank the premiums. My BEST ESTIMATE was for $3400 premium for a 2 YEAR POLICY! This was with a $500 deductible! I decided that was entirely too high. And this was the best price from one of the less desirable companies. I had some estimates that were $5K. In the first year I spend, maybe, $100 for repairs. So even if I have to pay $3K this year, I am even. I realize this is defying the odds. I large repair would really hurt. That's why I consider maintenance so important. Even though I only traveled 5000 or so miles this year, I had the engine oil and all filters replaced after a year, using higher end Rotella oil (could not justify the price of synthetic oil). Maintenance can minimize your exposure to those high cost repairs. I guess it's up to each individual whether these insurance policies are worth the expense. On my 8 year old used high end coach the cost was just too high. Had the premium been considerably lower I probably would have gotten the policy.

ACC WARRANTY SERVICES GROUP LLC - BEWARE - BEWARE - BEWARE - BEWARE

ACC Warranty Services Group LLC, based out of Indianapolis, IN, is nothing but a scam. Steve Burgess, the principle agent for ACC, bends over backwards when you express interest in purchasing an extended RV Warranty from his company.

However, don't think you will get the same treatment when you have a claim.

Our personal experience was so frustrating when we realized that we paid over $3,000.00 for the extended warranty and got absolutely nothing. We ended up paying another $2,500.00 for repairs and a service call (supposedly covered with the extended Warranty contract). Of course, what could we do since we were 800 miles away from home and had to get the RV repaired in order to get home.

When you call ACC Warranty, you get an answering service that promises someone will call you back. We did get one immediate call back and the rest went unanswered until we pushed to talk to someone. That someone ended up being Steve Burgess himself. He was very rude from the start of the conversation. We continued to follow the process to file a claim, which was more of a joke, but just didn't want to give up too soon in the hopes of getting something back.

As you can tell, our attempts to get any money from ACC was unsuccessful. Just trying to determine our next step to pursue Steve Burgess in the legal system.

We know that 2 people were recently successful in getting judgments against ACC/Steve Burgess in Indiana. Here is the information:
Case No. 49K07-1403-SC-001029 Court Costs plus Judgment: $4,875.00 - Judgment entered on 15 Apr 2014
Case No. 49D03-1311-PL-041336 Court Costs plus Judgment: $32,315.00 - Judgment entered on 15 Jul 2014

If you are a current ACC policy holder, you may want to re-evaluate if you want to continue with the balance of your coverage period OR try to cancel and get a refund. Although we have read other blogs where people had issues getting premium refunds.

Either way, getting any money out of Steve Burgess is nearly impossible.

The BBB has given ACC a "F" rating. Here is a link to the BBB review of ACC:
A C C Warranty Services Review - EXTENDED WARRANTY CONTRACT SERVICE COMPANIES in Indianapolis, IN - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Central Indiana

Check out Ripoff Reports for ACC Warranty: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/acc%20warranty.

Check out the iRV2 Forums: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/opinion-on-acc-warranty-company-135569.html.

We know that Steve Burgess has opened a new company in Florida:
24/7 MOBILE MARINE AND RV LLC
14041 BELLAGIO WAY, OSPREY, FL 34229
Registered Agent Name & Address
BURGESS, STEPHEN R
14041 BELLAGIO WAY
UNIT 218
OSPREY, FL 34229

Given our personal experience, I would NOT recommend using this company just because of Steve Burgess' business practices with his ACC Warranty Services Group.

We know that Steve Burgess participates in regional RV rallies, to include some FMCA events, and has spent time in the winter at Arizona RV parks. Feel free to stop by and tell him what you have read on this forum and other forums about what a lousy company he runs!

Take our personal advice: If you are looking to purchase an extended RV Warranty coverage, just put the money into a savings account and "self insure" yourself. You will be money ahead and NO hassles or headaches in attempting to get any claims paid with ACC/Steve Burgess.

We had a good Sam EW. Had a claim they refused to pay the shipping on parts. I reread the contract and their ads. Did not exclude shipping anywhere. We dropped the EW and roadside assist. When asked why, I explained, they knew. Have Pro-Tek now one claim with a minor problem but Wholesale Warranty salesman made one call and problem solved.

We have had Ultra-Ride...

Couple disappointments when I tried to make claims but when dealers agree it should be covered, then file the claim, it gets paid .. and RB has had good success getting my items covered....

I understand the economics don't usually work out in favor of owners ( that's why the warranty companies make $) ... but... I always insure myself and property against potential of major issues - so I carry it on the motor home also...

To All Disgruntled/Dissatisfied ACC Warranty Customers:

Today, 9/2/2014, I called Mark Snodgrass at the Indiana Attorney General's office regarding our ability to be part of their case against ACC Warranty. Per Mr. Snodgrass, they filed the lawsuit against ACC Warranty 1.5-2 weeks ago.

However, due to so many people contacting the Indiana Attorney General's office since they filed the suit, Mr. Snodgrass said they will be amending the lawsuit to incorporate more people's claims. Therefore, you need to call Mr. Snodgrass, 317-234-6784, ASAP if you want to be part of this lawsuit.

No. 1. Forget class A lawsuits. Makes the Attorneys a lot of $$$.

No. 2. Had ACC for a Blue water race boat, very high cost for premium and I expected that....but no claim was ever paid, I sued for $ 164,000 and they closed shop for 3 years, then re-opened in the Bahamas....stay away!

No. 3. I have Good Sam on coach, not very expensive and have had no problems on 2 bills so far.

AMC Tradition 45Y, 2010

Galveston, TX.

We purchased our 1st coach in 2012, a 2008 Monaco Dynasty. Since we were brand new to this lifestyle and took a leap of faith that we could handle a 45 foot coach we chose to buy the EW. Over the past 2 years we have used our EW more times than I can count without pulling all the invoices. The first thing that went bad was #5 fuel injector, then the fuel lift pump, then the main fuel pump, the driver side slide gasket tore, the door bell and remote entry switch went bad, and I could go on. Point being we have not been disappointed, as every claim we presented to Cornerstone Warranty was paid and handled without incident. With so many moving parts in the chassis and the house I cannot imagine going it without an EW. However, I would not listen to a sales person as they know how to sell, not adjust warranty coverage; get the contract and read it carefully as within the 4 corners of the warranty document is what is covered and there are no surprises when you take the time to understand what you are paying for.

Manholt: Agree that the only real winners in a Class Action lawsuit are the attorneys.

However, this is the State of Indiana's Attorney General's office that is going after ACC Warranty. We know that we may not get much, if any, of our unpaid claim from this effort. Even if the Attorney General's office is successful, we don't know what assets/resources Steve Burgess has to satisfy any monetary judgment rendered.

We already have some satisfaction that the Attorney General's office is finally taking an interest in what Steve Burgess/ACC Warranty have done to consumers.

We purchased our 1st coach in 2012, a 2008 Monaco Dynasty. Since we were brand new to this lifestyle and took a leap of faith that we could handle a 45 foot coach we chose to buy the EW. Over the past 2 years we have used our EW more times than I can count without pulling all the invoices. The first thing that went bad was #5 fuel injector, then the fuel lift pump, then the main fuel pump, the driver side slide gasket tore, the door bell and remote entry switch went bad, and I could go on. Point being we have not been disappointed, as every claim we presented to Cornerstone Warranty was paid and handled without incident. With so many moving parts in the chassis and the house I cannot imagine going it without an EW. However, I would not listen to a sales person as they know how to sell, not adjust warranty coverage; get the contract and read it carefully as within the 4 corners of the warranty document is what is covered and there are no surprises when you take the time to understand what you are paying for.

Who is " EW " ?

Bill.

Me also. I'm currently at Cummins in Houston, TX. getting my annual service done and extras (some my choice, some not), what was going to cost $2,200 grew to $4,118. Big bucks! However, had I gotten a EW when I bought coach in late 13', I would now be down over $1,800 as normal service is not covered by EW!

I do the same with Insurance, I have a two million dollar Liability policy and carry a $10 million umbrella Policy (at $7.50 per month, per million) I'm way ahead!

Carl

Herman.

Knock on wood. It has not happened in 40+ years! So, you'll get old and grey waiting.... :P

I forgot to mention that for the past 26 years, all of my stuff in in the name of a Corporation and it pay's for the umbrella policy! I personally can't be sued. :wub:

Carl

I have had Good Sam since 2008 and trust me, Citrus (name of motorhome) has been in the shop more times than in storage. Good Sam has come across every time and there have been some major repairs. I do have seals and gasket coverage. GS has paid for itself in the 7 years I have had it.

It's all in how the repair facility writes it up.

Wayne. Have you thought about turning your lemon into an apple? :blink: Or are you bound and determined to turn the one you have into a Princess? :P

Well, at least your saving $$$ on storage! :lol:

Carl