johnschnee

Recommendations of Military RV Sites

We have been to 48 of the 49 contiguous United States including Wash D.C., and have traveled through the lower part of Canada from Niagara Falls to Sarnia. I'm licensed to carry in Texas and reciprocal in many states.  In the many years of roving around the country, and knowing that there are firearm restrictions - I just don't carry when in the RV. In those many years I have never, never had the necessity to have a firearm.  We enjoy the military RV parks and the less than expensive stays. Saves a few bucks.

That's your choice Wayne. You have the right to either exercise your right to keep and bear arms or not.

We all took an oath to support and defend the Constitution, the whole thing, not just parts of it that are PC these days.I remember when the exchange sold guns and ammo and several of my shipmates had a gun in their vehicle while at work because they were going hunting after they got off. We didn't change.... Society changed.

I choose to exercise all of my rights. As a result of that choice I have to forfeit privileges earned by serving 30 years active duty.

I haven't used a fire extinguisher in my entire life other than during a training class but I have no intention of traveling without one and I don't believe I should have to lie about having one in my RV just to use the facilities aboard a military installation.

One wrong turn in a strange place could put anyone in a bad situation. I just don't like leaving my options at home.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:27 PM, gcwp75 said:

can any veteran stay at these parks?

Militarycampgrounds.us has the current information for who may enter, etc. It is different for each MWR facility, as each installation commander controls their own facilities. There are even a few that are open to the public. Many are open to DoD civilians, even if they have never been in the military. Every facility I know of gives preference to active duty personnel, as they should. Jan '14, at NAS Key West, a couple there was bumped from FHU by active duty coming in on TDY.

I have been to 3 over the years, by invitation, I don't wait to be asked, I voluntarily let them know at the gate.  Been asked to check it in, one time!  No big deal...I'm not a PC person, but I also have no business, carrying, at a active military base!  You can't carry into a lot of places, so what do you do JH if your called to jury duty, or you have to go to a department in a Court House, etc?

IMHO, Society has not changed, our instantaneous information, since Desert Storm has changed.  There is no longer a laps in time, of days, weeks, before we get information on what is going on in the world. 

I'll get off my box now and close with, "Thank You for your Service"! 

11 hours ago, RAYIN said:

Jan '14, at NAS Key West, a couple there was bumped from FHU by active duty coming in on TDY.

That is absolutely the way it should be. 

Bill

9 hours ago, manholt said:

I have been to 3 over the years, by invitation, I don't wait to be asked, I voluntarily let them know at the gate.  Been asked to check it in, one time!  No big deal...I'm not a PC person, but I also have no business, carrying, at a active military base!  You can't carry into a lot of places, so what do you do JH if your called to jury duty, or you have to go to a department in a Court House, etc?

IMHO, Society has not changed, our instantaneous information, since Desert Storm has changed.  There is no longer a laps in time, of days, weeks, before we get information on what is going on in the world. 

I'll get off my box now and close with, "Thank You for your Service"! 

To answer your question, I leave the firearm in the car. It's not that I concerned about safety when aboard a military installation, although maybe I should be. It's the transit to and from through various unknown neighborhoods that I'm concerned about.

I get in my RV that has my legal weapon inside and travel to another  state. Because I choose to do that I am not allowed to enter a military installation because the weapon is in my current residence that I'm driving. What about my right to possess a firearm during the transit? Must I leave it at home in Florida if I want to use an RV park in Texas?

There is actually a way to get permission but the Navy and several other services have chosen to ignore it.

It's Section 4 of DOD Directive 5210.56 Dtd 11/18/2016 and approved by Robert O. Work, Deputy Secretary of Defense.

There are several military installations that allow firearms during hunting season and many have shooting ranges where authorized patrons are allowed to bring their firearms aboard to enjoy the range. As far as I know there hasn't been any blood battles in the streets because of that.

Many choose to ignore the restrictions by practicing "don't ask, don't tell". I don't think my 30 years of service personal honor should be compromised because I want to exercise my rights.

What would that teach my grandkids when they know I lied at the gate?

4 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

That is absolutely the way it should be. 

Bill

Yep, that's why I said it, to point out some of the workings of the MWR/military RV parks. We know how little active-duty military are paid, they deserve everything they receive.

JH, don't get me totally wrong. I don't like the rules and regulations any more than you do. Many people cannot think outside the box. At least they could allow licensed owners to have firearms. State Capitol of Texas allows licensed carriers to enter their premises through another door other than the main one. I've not tried it but it is available. The people making the rules don't realize that the person who wants to go into any establishment with any type of weapon is going to do so regardless of the rules. 

BTW, I'm familiar with the right to transport firearms through states. Let me just state this.  There are states that will allow you to carry through and then there are states that if you mae a stop, like for gas, or an overnight-er, you have violated their rules and regulations and can be accountable. Just saying.

I know most FAMCamps are on-base/post, but we like the FAMCamps that are located away from the bases and posts.  Most are better campgrounds, and they don't ask any questions on firearms.

Somewhere in a post it was mentioned that the Military Fam Camps were to be opened to all Vets. on January 1, 2020. Does anyone remember the post and if so can they say where they heard this information. I have looked high and low but can not find any mention of this happening.

Herman

49 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Somewhere in a post it was mentioned that the Military Fam Camps were to be opened to all Vets. on January 1, 2020. Does anyone remember the post and if so can they say where they heard this information. I have looked high and low but can not find any mention of this happening.

Herman

Here is an article from Military Times that talks about it.  3 Million disabled veterans, caregivers & more to gain military shopping benefits.