johnschnee

Recommendations of Military RV Sites

I'm just starting my "RV ADVENTURE" and, as a U.S. military retiree, I'm hoping for some GREAT visits to U.S. military bases.

In the near-term "honey-bunch" (AKA "She who MUST be obeyed!") & I will probably stick near the Eastern seaboard - well, east of the Mississippi, anyways - and I'm looking for some recommendations of "top-notch" military RV parks to visit in that area.

Appreciate any suggestions - please include comment as to WHY you like a particular facility.

THANKS!!!

Welcome...go to 'US Military Campgrounds and RV parks'. It is a great reference point.

Just spent 10 days at Mayport Naval Base campground - Pelican Roost in Jacksonville, FL. The base has two campgrounds, the other one is Osprey Cove. We loved Pelican Roost - it is on the St Johns River that feeds into the Atlantic Ocean. You can sit at your campsite and watch the ships go by - we saw a cruise ship, tankers, and Navy ships. Beautiful place and we are definitely going back!

Pelican Roost is a limited stay campground - only two weeks; Osprey Cove is for long term. I personally like that Pelican Roost is short-term stay - it allows more people to enjoy this beautiful campground. The staff is very helpful, as is the camp host.

Paris Island, SC; Mayport, FL; Kings Bay, GA; Pensacola FL; Charleston, SC; Ft Meade, MD; Hanscom AFB, MA; Williamsburg, VA; Cherry Point, NC. We have stayed at all of them and they were all good. I may have missed a few, but read the reviews in the Military Campgrouns revew web site. Pretty much on the spot with the reveiws.

Lunga park may still be closed because of UXO. (Unexploded Ordanance) but if it is open it is a good park also.

Have been in overflow at NAS in Key West this past two weeks. They are packed but doing best to accommodate anyone who shows up. Cheap fuel has many MH on the road to the Keys this year.

We stayed at the Blue Angels Recreation Area in Pensacola and it was great. Hey, for $20 what is not to like. We are going back down there next week. It's right on the water, the NAS and museum are about 8 miles away and Orange Beach is about 15 miles away (otherwise known as the Hillbilly Riviera). There the full hook-up area (Battleship Row) with nice cement pads for $20 or you can go to Anchors for $17, no pads but electric and water. Last time we stayed in Anchor Cove and liked it. This time we are staying in Battleship Row to see how different they are.

Ed and Stephanie

SFC, USA (retired)

We liked the one at Kings Bay. Kinda had to get use to light out. Everyone seemed to observe retreat and lights out.

Had a great time playing cards, and the socials. This was right before Christmas in 201, I think. We were searching for a new home for Kids relocating to Savannah for job.

If we had much more time there were lots of things around to do. Too cold for any fishing then.

Nice quiet campground and really nice Staff and Guests.

Sorry gc, the military Fam camps are for Active duty, Retired or 100% disabled Veterans. However if you are traveling with one of the aforementioned you may be their guest and park with them. They must be parked for the same time as you. and you must leave when they leave.

Herman

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, hermanmullins said:

Sorry gc, the military Fam camps are for Active duty, Retired or 100% disabled Veterans. However if you are traveling with one of the aforementioned you may be their guest and park with them. They must be parked for the same time as you. and you must leave when they leave.

Herman

That's good to know Herman, thanks. We are new to the Famcamp deal also and are staying at DavMo in Tucson AZ now. Been in overflow for 3 weeks but that is by choice. Got solar on the roof and I'm backed up right next to the toilet/shower house. Plan on stopping at Ft Bliss on the way to Rio Grande Valley. I heard it is a real nice camp. It's off base so the Gold Pass card will get us half off the price. 

FamCamp

There's 3 in San Antonio, that I know off...PM Wayne.  Also one at the Navel Base in Corpus Christi.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:27 AM, gcwp75 said:

can any veteran stay at these parks?

Normally, no. However there are a few military campgrounds that allow civilians to stay. One is Corpus Christi.  You must register and pay a fee for a pass to the recreation facilities including the CG.  There have been a few others but  don't remember which ones. You would have to call them to make sure.

Here is a link to Military Campgrounds

Not to come off as too negative but I mostly stay clear of the RV facilities aboard military bases. Not because they aren't great, they are, but because of the restrictions that prohibit firearms.

Although most don't do a physical check some, like NAS Jacksonville, FL, ask if you have any weapons when you come through the gate. They've never asked me about that when I come in driving my car, just when driving the RV.

It just bothers me to be forced to lie just to take advantage of some great facilities.