Sign in to follow this  
geraldlanc

Big Truck Little Truck

I have a 2002 Beaver Marquis with a Cat C12 and Allison 6 speed tranny and am looking for a toad. I would prefer a pickup, but don't know if a small truck (Nissan Frontier) or a big truck (Ford 150 for ex) would be best.

There is a weight difference of course, but the rv can handle either.

My question is, what effect does either truck have on the fuel mileage of the RV?

Gerald

Gerald,

Toad weight (actually GCW/Gross Combined Weight) has less effect on flat ground where Aerodynamic Drag accounts for the vast majority of the HP demand.

However, on grades, weight becomes the significant factor.

So, there really is no single answer to your question.

As an example on I 10 in Louisiana (flat) a heavier toad would have little effect. Further west on I 10 in the hill country of Texas, it would make more difference.

Like Brett, I suspect the difference in fuel milage will be insignificant. I would think the answer would be found in asking yourself which vehicle will serve you best when not connected to the motorhome.

Gerald,

I have an 02 Winniebago with a 370hp ISL cummins. I tow a F150 super crew. Combined weight is 38,400 - 3600 under the CGWR of the coach. Nearing home (Oregon) after a 7500 mile winter excursion and have averaged 7.5mpg. IF I run without the F150 the mpg only goes up to around 8mpg so as stated above - get what you are comfortable with.

Lenp

I tow both a Prius on a dolly and a Silverado 1/2 ton. My mileage is about the same for either, 10-11 mpg with a 32 ft diesel pusher.