dcs4747

Cold Weather Driving

I have a 2011 Tiffin Allegro RED class A motorhome.

Living just outside Cleveland, Ohio I store my unit in the winter and camp mostly from March to November. I have only been camping three years so am relatively new to the life style.

In the past, I have driven toward warmer climate using only the dash heater to provide warmth to the front of the unit as we drive. This has and is a problem for my wife as it can get quite cool and uncomfortable. Is it possible and safe to use one of the propane furnaces to provide heat while we drive?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

David

Elyria, Ohio

David,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Never have used the furnaces intentionally for heat while driving, but the system control board for the furnaces had a failure that activated the rear unit on our coach while driving.

It took us a while to realize it was running with the road noise and the temperature being comfortable up front.

The furnace worked fine, because the back of the coach was hot. Had to disable the Gas valve connection to turn off the unit so the blower could cool down the heat exchanger.

Looked around the furnace from the outside and inside for any damage, thankfully there was none.

That would lead me to believe its possible.

The thing is, on our coach there are no registers located closer then 10 to 12 feet to the front of the coach.

The other option might be to run the generator to power a small to medium sized electric heater, safely located up front.

Rich.

David,

Welcome to the Forum.

In both cold and hot weather we put up a screen (curtain) behind the wifes and my seats' this keep the dash air and heater from trying to keep the rest of the coach either cool or warm. The wife can use her imagination for the curtain.

Herman

Can anyone provide a reference in a furnace manufacturers manual/webslte that recommends against using the furnace while driving?

When dash unit alone is not enough, we run generator and front rooftop unit on heat pump setting. Like Rich, have not run furnace intentionally but did for brief time when accidentally left furnace setting on when pulling out of campsite, without any issues. While I do drive with refrigerator on gas mode, just don't feel comfortable with water heater or furnace on while driving.

When we drove from Michigan to Florida last January it was -12 to start the trip. Turned the furnace on the day before to load the thing that could freeze. It stayed on for the next two day nonstop with no problem while driving. At that temp to start with the windshield and drivers door windows frosted up on the inside the night before we left, all the other window are double pane so they were fine. The defroster could keep up with the windshield but no extra heat for people or drivers door. Had to use a credit card to scrape the drivers door window. Knowing this next year will have ice scraper with us and run the generator with electric heat for us.

When I needed additional heat in the front I use a quartz 1500 watt heater running off the inverter.

That is about an additional 120 amp draw on the alternator-- not sure I would do it that way.

I run the furnace when I need to on the road. When you are trying to heat with the dash heater use the setting that recirculates the inside air so you don't have to heat the out side air. The same when using the AC.

Bill

That is about an additional 120 amp draw on the alternator-- not sure I would do it that way.

I have installed a 235 amp engine alternator and it handles it just fine with only 1/4 mpg decrease on my Road Relay 5. I don't do this on a regular basis as I rarely travel in cold areas.

Purchased our new motor home in early February. We live in Michigan and dealer was in Elkhart, Indiana.Waited for a clear day to pick up but it was in the single digits. Dealer had both furnaces going when we arrived and we were told there was no problem driving with them on.

We did it all the time in our past motorhomes, which had LP furnaces. This is Wisconsin, where winter is long, and without heat we would be popsickles.

In our current MH we have AquaHot, so it's diesel powered but that runs too. I don't see the safety aspect of switching off the propane when driving. It would take a pretty wild sequence of events that would cause an issue during a crash. It's safer to be warm and comfortable when driving than shivering and trying to deal with frosty windows.

We were told during our walk thru when we picked up the MH that we could run the furnace while driving. We picked it up in March and didn't turn the furnace on before leaving for home, and as you can imagine (March in Ohio), we were quite cold after the 2hr drive. We plan on heading out next winter in January or February for warmer climates and you can bet the furnace will be running. :ph34r: And we'll be bundled up.