Sign in to follow this  
mikejuandababin

Fuel Saver Device

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Need more info what are you going to use it on, etc. As a general rule, I have seen little benefit in fuel saving devices.

Bill

The Fuel Saver Device (FSD) is an advertisement in the March 2014 issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine, page 99. The ad says that tests on a 435-horsepower Cummins diesel motorhome resulted in an increase in mileage from 5.7 mpg to 8.3 mpg.

That sounds good, if it is correct. Looking for someone who is using the FSD. Thanks.

Mike

Edited by FMCANationalOffice
Removed all caps

I can tell you is that if there was ANY device that would allow a Cummins to get that kind of an MPG increase, Cummins would be using it. That's an absolute. If you keep that in mind, you can pretty quickly separate the wheat from the chafe.

I suspect that it's simply an ad and nothing more than any of the other ads that claim magical improvements. They still suck folks in despite the fact that their claims have no basis.

I just looked at the ad in the FMCA magazine. I tried the website listed www.fuelsaverdevice.com but at the bottom of the page it says, "This Domain May Be For Sale."

I then tried www.fuelsaverdevice.net and found the device. They give two examples and then the usual disclaimer: "Each example depends on driver habits and environments. Results will vary."

It supposedly works by increasing fuel vapor density. Now if someone can explain that it might mean something. I am not anywhere an expert on engines but I would think the only way to increase vapor density would be more fuel or less air.

Ya, nothing on their "how it works" page that gives much of an explanation. Not sure what "increases the vapor density" means-- more fuel injected perhaps??

Other than from the injectors, there is no "vapor" in a diesel and their explanation lumps gas and diesel together.

I'm with Bill, if it worked that well, Caterpillar would already be using it. I'd definitely leave the price in the pocketbook, go light on the right, make sure air filters ar kept clean, and turbo working correctly.

I have found that those people that buy and install these type of devices tend to drive with a lighter foot and will realize some increase in mpg but that increase is not from the device. I have tested a number of different devises and have not seem any increases under the same driving conditions. I have never spent a dime on these devices but have tested for various mfg and individuals.