manholt

Kwikee Platinum Electric Step

Have tested all, known to me, electric connections and ground. This is on a 2010 AMC Tradition, 45Y.

They are stuck in the closed position.

CC in Texas

F342963

Manholt,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

This is a link to a PDF file. Does the information cover your system?

Let me know and then I will be looking at the same information. Then we might be able to narrow down the problem.

Do you happen to have a 12 volt battery charger handy?

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/875.pdf

Rich.

Regarding this issue, I have been exchanging PM information with the OP and it looks like the problem is a mechanical problem.

The step assembly needs to be able to move freely so a switch / current limiter circuit does not impede the complete cycle.

The issue has happened to me and the only way that I have found to reset the current limeter is to disconnect the power connection to the motor, using a 12 volt supply(battery charger) power the motor directly and run it out all the way, then reverse the connections. rum the steps all the way in(up position) then reconnect the motor to the control circuit. This process has saved some money and extended to life of the drive system.

The problem generally happens when the steps are up, not as common when the steps are down..

Rich.

I have never seen a Kwikee step system that uses mircro switches. Is this a really old system? The ones I have seen use curernt sensing circuitry on the control board to stop the motor when it reaches the limit stop.

Clay,

Good catch! micro switch not a good choice of words. Resetting the current limiter circuit better choice, so I have to go back and do a little editing.

In my humble opinion a lot of motors are replaced when just the motor - gear drive assembly needs to be cycled. To rest the the control circuit, and yes the board does sense the current to keep the drive from running when the step strikes an object.

The one thing I have never totally understood is why the controller does stop the motor from operating, when all one needs to do is cycle the motor, that is in no way connected to the controller. Other then a load on the current sensor circuit.

Happened to me 3 times now and always in the up position and one when my leg was in the way very to the step being fully extended.

The current sensor will stop the steps from operating if they do not move free enough to keep the current level with in the correct perimeters.

Rich.

A big Thank you to all who helped me with my stuck step last month. Turned out to be the motor and all is well now.

The generator problem, turned out to be the Controller (mother board). Expensive!!!

I seem to have a similar problem with the step. It stays in the up position and if I tap the gear assembly with a hammer ( not hard) it starts to work. Am I due for a new unit or are these repairable?

pmarth.

How often does it get stuck? You also need to keep all parts lubed and clean. Don't put any weight on step until it's completely out. The odd's are your problem is the limiter circuit.

A new motor is not cheap! Last resort.

Carl C.

Carl, it seems to occur after some time on the road. I keep the steps well lubed, but I'm not sure if the sealed gears are to be lubed. A slight tap with a hammer on the gear box next to the motor seems to get them to work.

Pete