Sign in to follow this  
pmarth

Using 15 Amp Service

I have a 2006 Damon Daybreak set up for 50 amp. I'll be staying at some relative's house for a couple of week and will only have regular 15 amp service available. I have the appropriate adaptors and heavy duty 10 ga 15 amp extension cords. When we had a small TT, we stayed at a state park with 15 amp and that's all that was available, only problem that I noticed was you really had to watch what you were using and no A/C. Do you think I will have any other problems doing this, other than no a/c? An electrician wanted $600 to put in a 50 amp outlet and we don't want to do that. Thanks

Pete,

Used that setup for a long time until finally setting up a 30 amp service.

Used a 20 amp circuit breaker and kept the extension as short as possible. That allowed us to keep the batteries charged, The Charger / inverter draws approx 8 to 10 amps when first connected, then drops to about 5 amps when the batteries reach the float voltage.

Allowing for that, you would have about 15 amps of head room for other items. By using a little math to figure the load you might have at any given time, should get you close to how many items and what items could be on at any give moment.

For higher loads you might be able to run the generator for shot periods of time, to cover higher demand.

The thing we used the most was the AC and could power one at a time to keep things comfortable.

Something to consider, do you have a Electric dryer or use some 220 volt equipment in the garage that would give you a circuit to tap into if needed?

Rich.

Rich, thanks for the info. The quote that we got for the 50 amp service said it was 10-12 ft way from the box. Since I haven't been to my nephew's new house, I'm not sure what is available. You can't plug into a 220v with a 50 amp plug, can you? Thanks, Pete

Pete,

Yes, a 50 amp has TWO hots, a neutral and a ground.

The problem (and a BIG ONE) is that 30 amp RV wiring has ONE hot, a neutral and a ground. But, it looks somewhat like a 30 amp dryer plug which has TWO hots.

Plug a 30 amp RV into a dryer outlet and you will "let the smoke out if everything".

Brett, I have 50 amp on the coach, but I would have to do something to be able to use a regular 220 outlet, wouldn't I?, Pete

The issue is "what is a REGULAR 240 outlet.

As I said, a 50 amp RV IS, repeat IS 240 VAC as measured from outer straight (L1) to the other outer straight (L2).

But, a 30 amp household dryer that very closely resembles a 30 amp RV. The 30 amp house is 240 VAC, while a 30 amp RV is ONLY 120 VAC-- DO NOT DO THIS.

Pete, The points and issues that You and Brett both raised are all valid.

When I posted, I was doing a little fishing to get some information on what was available regarding circuits that would be already wired into the main panel box. To get a base line for the fee the electrician mentioned.

You mention that you are about 12 ft. from the main power panel.

Could you and you son run some flexible wire conduit between the main or sub panel that might be in the garage area to where a 30 amp. circuit one 120 volt 30 amp circuit, the neutral and a ground going to a disconnect Switch as one possibility.

The second circuit thought being a 240 volt circuit in the garage( used to power an air compressor).

The circuit breaker size is often limited to 20 amps, for each side. both L1 and L2 could be used with the proper sized Neutral and Ground wires run through the same type of conduit to the same point = 40 amps

12 ft. of 8 Gauge wire times four, the proper 4 x 4 Box, socket for a 50 or 30 amp circuit, conduit, hardware and circuit brakes should come to around 150 to 175 dollars.

A trip to Lowe's with a list of materials might save you some money.

Leave the main connections for an electrician

Think that the electrician would require 2,max. 3 hrs to make all the connections. Should be less then 450.00

Just some items to consider and see it it falls in to your budget.

Rich.

Brett is absolutely right, dont plug a 30 amp dogbone into a household 30 amp dryer plug. But that same electrician that wants $600 for a new outlet, might be able to make 220 30 amp to 50 amp extension. This will allow 15 amps on each leg of the normally 50 amp service. Most units are equiped so that the load is evenly proportioned, allowing more devices to be run simutaniously. Even one ac unit if you dont run anything else on that same circuit. If you dont know what you are doing, please do not attempt this yourself, but a qualified electrician can be helpful.

Kay

Wow! I think $600 is way to much for that short of run. I provided the wire and 50amp outside electrical box and had it done with about 30-40 feet from the box, (up the wall, through the attic, down the wall and to the outside) for less than $300. Find another licensed electrician and get another quote. I really think you can do better.

If this is a long term thing, or a regular visit thing, it would be worth it to have the outside 50 amp service.

I have also used 120v 20 amp before I had the 50 amp put in. With dual AC's on the roof, only one at a time could be run. We found out real quick that if you run a vacuum cleaner at the same time you'll trip the 20 amp breaker. With the MH and basement air, we have the EMS and that regulates what is running. We have used that for a short time on 120v 20 amp with success, and again, nothing else could be turned on at the same time.

Unless it is a real old house, most of the newer ones have 20 amp circuit breakers.

We also stay at our sons house when are there. When ww arrive I pullout my 50 amp cable that has a50 amp receptical on one end and a 50 amp circuit breaker on the other. I remove his power panel snap in the breaker. Replace the cover. When we leave I remove the cable.

They get our company and we cover their service while there.

Herman

Thanks for all of your info. I'll leave the wiring to the pros and try to get by on regular 120v, 15 amp service.

Thanks for all of your info. I'll leave the wiring to the pros and try to get by on regular 120v, 15 amp service.

Pete, it you can find a 20 amp circuit, the extra 5 amps kind of make life a little better.

Rich..