garykd

Changed The Engine Air Filter

Hi All,

The signature coach is on a Spartan MM chassis and has an ISC 330 HP engine. The coach has 54K miles and in January will be 5 years old. The gage to tell when to replace the air filter had just begun to move up. It was nowhere near the level that indicates to replace the air filter. I replaced the air filter because we have just finished 2 months of filthy southwest USA travel. The desert, in the sumer is not only hot, it is filthy. Dust and dirt all over. The dirt gets into everything. It's like trying to keep sand out of the coach when we are at the beach.

The only way to get the old filter out is to remove the engine cover, in the back bedroom. There is a clamp at each end that holds the intake and clean air outlet hoses. There are also two clamps that hold the air filter to its' mounting brackets. Removal of and installation of the air filter is very straight forward. Once the 4 clamps are loosened, the filter slides forward into the bedroom. The hardest part and what took the longest was getting the engine cover off. I think Newmar over seals this cover. I understand the importance of having it sealed, but what I had go go through was ridiculous. After removing the 9 screws and bolts holding the cover in place, I ended up using a pry bar to break the seal. Once the seal is broken, the cover is a bit tricky to find a place to set it without getting a bunch of crude on the bedroom floor and without scratching the wood work. The cover is heavy and bulky.

All that said it took a total of about 2 hours from start to finish. This includes getting set up and all the cleanup after everything is put back together.

One does get rather dirty. Everything in the engine compartment is dirty. Then again it could just be me. I tend to attract dirt.

Gary,

Glad you got it done. Ya, depending on access your chassis AND coach maker gave you, it can be quite a job. 10 minutes on some coaches and 2-3 hours on others.

However, I recommend replacing air filters based on BOTH restriction (air filter minder reading) AND based on time.

Remember, the filter elements are made of paper and glue. They degrade with time. Three years is the recommended change interval unless the air filter minder suggest more frequent changes.

And when you replace the filter, reset the air filter minder (reset button on the bottom of the minder). Then after a few hundred miles (enough time that you will have been at WOT [Wide Open Throttle] enough to give an accurate max restriction reading) RECORD IT. That way you will know your base line restriction and can monitor changes.

The base line restriction (restriction with the new filter) is the "total report card" on the air intake system. The air filter minder reading is affected by size of opening at the side of the coach, plumbing between side of coach and air filter, air filter (both size and condition) as well as plumbing from air filter to turbo intake air "inlet".

Brett Wolfe

When I take my Cummins 400 ISL in for service I will occasionally have them clean the engine compartment. In between their cleanings I'll spray out the compartment with a regular hose to remove dirt and debris. While in there spraying water about I also hit the radiator from the inside out to help keep it clean.

I wouldn't eat off my compartment and working there I'll certainly need a shower and have clothes to be laundered but it isn't so bad that I can't check fluids without needing a shower!

Before I did any work on my fathers DP, I sprayed some soap on the warm engine

and washed her down with a pressure wand along with the undercarriage.

Removing the dirt helped with cooling and kept me a little cleaner.

The air filter on my father's Elite, 3208 Cat, was the easiest part to reach but an

expensive throwaway part. To make it more user friendly for my father and a

time saver, I installed a K&N air filter. Because K&N did not have the part or

specs of the filter, I had to mail them the paper filter and they returned a new

K&N within a week.

To make it more user friendly for my father and a

time saver, I installed a K&N air filter. Because K&N did not have the part or

specs of the filter, I had to mail them the paper filter and they returned a new

K&N within a week.

I am not aware of any diesel engine manufacturer who approves of the use of K&N or K&N style air filters. They DO let in more air (and more critically) THEY ALSO LET IN MORE DIRT.

I can tell you that Caterpillar specifically recommends against them in each of their maintenance seminars presented at FMCA Conventions.

And this is NOT to sell their own filters-- Caterpillar does not spec or sell air filters for RV's-- the chassis makers do that.

Brett Wolfe

When I take my Cummins 400 ISL in for service I will occasionally have them clean the engine compartment. In between their cleanings I'll spray out the compartment with a regular hose to remove dirt and debris. While in there spraying water about I also hit the radiator from the inside out to help keep it clean.

I wouldn't eat of my compartment and working there I'll certainly need a shower and have clothes to be laundered but it isn't so bad that I can't check fluids without needing a shower!

Take care when "PRESSUE WASHING " The radiator. The fins bend and prevent air flow.

On another forum a former filter rep (Gary Spires) said you should take a some nylon netting and tie it directly over the turbo intake, that will match what a K&N does!

The reason a K&N flows more is because it filters less, in fact they let more than twice as much dust in as the standard filter.

We have the Banks kit on our ISC, with the standard EcoLite filter I'm getting 15" of restriction with a new filter. To reduce the restriction I'm going to have to upsize my entire intake tract. Not too expensive if I order the new 7" connectors and tubing off the Internet. The last couple trips out I'm seeing 22" on the filter minder so it's getting time to change things.

The new K&N filter is doing a good job of filtering. I beta tested one of their filters for 1 1/2 years, then had the oil analyzed. Came back ok. I have been using one of the first production units since May and everything is good. I have a ISB 275. The filter material does not filter less.

The new K&N filter is doing a good job of filtering. I beta tested one of their filters for 1 1/2 years, then had the oil analyzed. Came back ok. I have been using one of the first production units since May and everything is good. I have a ISB 275. The filter material does not filter less.

I appreciate any comment which states a fact as yours does. PLEASE people, tell the facts, not opinions or coctail talk. I see one has to wade through so much opinion here that it makes it more tedious to find out what is fact. We all have a responsibility to keep our forums the best they can be and not "I heard". Thanks.

If you want facts . This is a link to a filter test. You might want to read it if you are using a K&N filter. This is the only test that I have seen that used lab test equipment to do a test that is repeatable and to a given standard ISO 5011 test standard was used.
http://www.billswebs...rFilterTest.htm

I think its intersting that K&N will not release their test data.

Bill

If you want facts . This is a link to a filter test. You might want to read it if you are using a K&N filter. This is the only test that I have seen that used lab test equipment to do a test that is repeatable and to a given standard ISO 5011 test standard was used.

http://www.billswebs...rFilterTest.htm

I think its intersting that K&N will not release their test data.

Bill

That test was done with the old filter media some years ago and when Spires toured the K&N test facility more recently he came away with a little different conclusion. Just call K&N and they will give you the test data.

That test was done with the old filter media some years ago and when Spires toured the K&N test facility more recently he came away with a little different conclusion. Just call K&N and they will give you the test data.

All K&N needs to do is release the test data. Why haven't they done that? I would think it would make a great marketing tool.

The only test data they have shared has to do with air flow not how much dirt it stops.

Bill

Why don't you use the same standard judging Banks as K&N? We have done warranty repair for Banks at there request with failures that happen to be in our area near our shop. They paid quickly.

Well let’s look at facts. You can call Banks and they will give you the test results and tell you how they ran the test. Banks stands behind their product. When you call K&N they talk glowingly about how much air the new and improved filter flows but never a word about how much dirt it stops. All you have to do is a simple Goggle search and find many articles testing air filters. You have to use the ISO 5011 test standards on the proper equipment. This way the test is repeatable and consistent.

I wouldn’t run a Banks filter if they made one for my application unless it did well in an ISO 5011 test.

Deseratdeals69,

“Why don't you use the same standard judging Banks as K&N? We have done warranty repair for Banks at there request with failures that happen to be in our area near our shop. They paid quickly.”

You act like it is a bad thing that Banks paid quickly on warranty issues. I wonder how fast K&N will pay if you dust an engine.

Bill