Sign in to follow this  
wayne77590

Texas HB-2305 - Single Registration/Inspection Sticker

This is regarding Texas Law - not any other state.

Recently there have been posts on different forums regarding a 90 day inspection/registration that is coming about. I was able to find a "Consolodated Inspection and Registration System Study" released in November 29, 2012, where a bill was passed to conduct a study regarding feasibility and best practices for using an electronic system to consolidate the inspection and registration of motor vehicles in Texas.

Today I called the local TxDMV Registration office and they do not know a thing about it. I then called the district office in Houston, and got the same information, and a number to TxDMV Headquarters.

The CSA at TxDM Headquarters was very helpful.

Here is a quote from the TxDMV web site. This is burried in the pages:

"HB 2305 9/1/2013; 3/1/2014; 3/1/2015 Single Registration/Inspection Sticker.

• Eliminates inspection sticker.
• Tax Assessor-Collector’s office will verify inspection via TxDPS database or with printed inspection certificate prior to issuance of registration.
• The state's portion of the inspection fee will be collected at time of registration.
• Vehicle owner must have inspection within 90 days prior to registration expiration.
• Vehicles sold by dealer must be inspected in the 180 days prior to sale of the vehicle.
• Administrative Rules must be adopted by 3/1/14.
• Implementation by 3/1/15."

You can find this at This TxDMV Link and cllicking on ATTACHMENT.

I'm posting to eliminate any future confusion that may exist. It was not an easy task to track this down. (Government, sheesh!)

Don't necessarily want to, but sometime this summer, South Dakota plates may be on our vehicles, as we pass through for a few days stay.

Never have been a fan of state inspections, just another tax imho; and was hit twice by folks that did not have the inspection, nor insurance.

There are still some choices for full-timers out there, if there is no way around this. JMHO,

An ole Marine I worked with use to say, "You can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken hmmmmm!"

Semper Fi, Where are our Freedoms going? Away!

Wayne, thanks for the link to the study. Looks like a typical government operation. They were paid by the word. 48 pages! Another they had to pass it before they knew what was in it, or Realized what was in it. Remember the Alamo/Goliad , somehow still has a ring to it today., Again, jmho.

We put an inspection sticker on our vehicle when we bought RV in Arizona but licenses it in Texas. Does this bill say that we don't need an annual sticker? It only cost $10 or $15because all they did was check the lights...cost more in fuel to get it inspected... they don't do anything with diesels ...we have a 2001 Safari- maybe it is too old for current regulations.

We drove from 1987-2012 without ever buying a sticker

xplorer, it's your tax dollars at work!

on.vacation, The law, when it goes into effect in 2015, says that there will be one sticker. That will be the registration sticker, but in order to obtain the registration sticker the tax office will verify with the database or written inspection papers that an inspections was done. Then the registration sticker will be issued. Inspection will have to be within 90 days prior to registration expiration. That's the way I read what I posted above.

I have a diesel pusher and right now the inspection is cheap as there are no emission checks so I'll keep both my inspection and registration in the same month.

Texas is not the only state that is doing this. Several have done it already and some will be doing it.

xplorer, it's your tax dollars at work!

on.vacation, The law, when it goes into effect in 2015, says that there will be one sticker. That will be the registration sticker, but in order to obtain the registration sticker the tax office will verify with the database or written inspection papers that an inspections was done. Then the registration sticker will be issued. Inspection will have to be within 90 days prior to registration expiration. That's the way I read what I posted above.

I have a diesel pusher and right now the inspection is cheap as there are no emission checks so I'll keep both my inspection and registration in the same month.

Texas is not the only state that is doing this. Several have done it already and some will be doing it.

I have been following it for awhile, and that's my understanding also. My plates expire in August and September, the 90 day window won't work for me. I can still renew one more time, before the effective date. That said, there is information that is being given lip service to possibly provide exemptions. I may still wait and see. However, if I can change the dates the plates are due, then I can plan to be in Texas in the Winter for meds, other business etc. If not, SD plate will go with the vehicle colors.

I have May inspection and August registration. If I'm on the road I register the vehicle on-line and have the sticker sent to the address of my choice. You can do this, but after you receive the sticker remember to go back on-line and change the address back to your home of record or you will not get further notifications.

I did this two years ago when in CA for re-registration. Worked fine. I'm not sure if May will be within the 90 day window but since it expires the end of May I would think so.

This is going to be interesting to follow, to say the least. At present, you can register your vehicle 90 days before expiration and receive a sticker with the following year expiration two months before the present expiration. Example: Expires 08/14. Sticker can be received for 08/15 as early as 90 days before 08/14. Put it on the windshield and you are ready to go. The new sticker expiration will be 08/15.

If they would prorate the sticker month by month, one could plan on having the inspection and registration expire at a time frame they would be back in the state. Like you, Xplorer, we are typically back in Texas for the fall months and could get everything taken care of.

It's going to get interesting.

Generally, I renew online 2-3 months prior to expiration. The stickers are sent to my commercial mail forwarding address, and then I have them sent to wherever I may be. I can then track the mail easier. Have not had a problem. The 90 safety inspection window is a logistical problem. It may work itself out, if changes are made, if not I may renew next month which will put me into 2015. SD should still be there next summer as we pass through. I have read an organization is working with Texas reps. From what I have read, not only are full-timers affected, but truckers as well.

It will be interesting to see where it goes. I like my Texas tags, but!!!!!!! Guess we could still come to Texas with SD tags, <_<:):rolleyes::rolleyes:

The pressures of full-time retirement. :D