Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Reluctant Tire Purchase

Have been reading these tire comments for quite some time now and decided that my coach tires, at 10 years and 3 months, shouldn't be run any longer. I am extremely careful, like most of you, about tire pressures before and during long trips, not bumping into anything that I shouldn't, and continually inspecting the tires for checking, bulges, or any other visible damage. At every stop, which is usually about 2-3 hrs due to nature calling, I check the temps of all the tires including the toad.

Even after saying all that, and not ever finding even 1 check on my beautiful looking tires, I have ordered 8 new 295/80X22.5 thru the Advantage program. Must be a popular tire as there is no stock anywhere right now. Should be here in 2-3 weeks, just in time for our trip from Colorado to Michigan.

The confidence and peace of mind resulting from this will take away that constant slight worry of "should I have replaced these before I left"?

These threads are sure a great source of information!!! If I stay up late enough and go back far enough in each topic, I can usually find an answer to my question before asking.

Note: I always run tire pressure at the labeled psi, even though it is higher than required for the load, and I will continue to do so. If it works for the many, many miles I have driven, it works. And I have no complaints about the ride.

Just a thought-

Semi trailer companies often buy good looking tires for spares out our way. Maybe you will want to make a couple of bucks with the old tires. (We have 22.5 size- that size fits most semi trailers- if your size is smaller, I don't know...)

Yes, I had seen that post a couple of times and asked my tire dealer about it. He claims he will not sell a used tire that old to someone else due to liability issues. I hope he is being truthful, but never know. If you looked at my current tires, you would swear they were recently purchased.

I am just gonna be happy getting the new ones on, even tho the cost sure puts a dent in the traveling budget!!

I doubt many truckers would be interested in a10 year old tire even for a spare.

LOTS of truckers would use them. I am in the trucking business. An over the road, long haul might not, but most trucks run local. They would snap them up in a minute.

mpierce That's not good that some truckers would use dangerous tires and put everybody lives at risk. I also don't like retreads and the dangers to others and time to outlaw them also.

While over the highway trucks may not be interested there might be local truck operators (small dump trucks etc) that might be.

Re the dealer not wanting to sell the tires I understand the stated objection. If you decide to leave them with him you might offer to help him slice the sidewalls so no one can use them ;)

gaylemarlowe,

I had tires that were 7 years old. The side walls looked perfect. I like you had heard that that tires age out before they wear out on most RVs. So I bought new tires. I got a good look at the tires that were removed from my coach. Low and behold every tire had cracks between each tread and all the way around not just one but all of my old tires. I for one was glad that I changed them when I did.

Herman

Thanks Herman for making me feel just a little bit better about our decision to scrap a perfectly good looking set of expensive tires. Maybe we will find a similar situation when ours are taken off. :)

I have been waiting for the same size tire for over a month now. There are several other MH owners here who have been waiting since early February. 2014. Michelin can not say when the back ordered tires will be available. Hope you have a better experience with Michelin than me.

I did find out some interesting things when searching for tires. My local dealer told me it would take several months to get tires. He suggested I contact dealers to the east of us (Colorado) as each dealer is committed to buying from a certain regional warehouse. After calling several and working my way east, I found Allied Tire in Des Moines, talked to Rich. He told me the statement from my local dealer was correct. My dealer has to buy from the Houston warehouse, whereas he buys from Chicago and he could get my tires in a few days. I ordered a set and he called me 4 days later and said he had them, with 2 month old dates on tires and he is holding them for me to install on our trip to Michigan shortly.

I am passing along the info I received from these dealers and assume it is correct. You may want to try the same thing. Just be willing to drive to the location! :)

Yes, I had seen that post a couple of times and asked my tire dealer about it. He claims he will not sell a used tire that old to someone else due to liability issues. I hope he is being truthful, but never know. If you looked at my current tires, you would swear they were recently purchased.

I am just gonna be happy getting the new ones on, even tho the cost sure puts a dent in the traveling budget!!

Our local tire dealer(s) can sell any tire that has decent looking sidewalls and a reasonable amount of tread, irregardless of age, for gravel hauling trailers at a price of $150.00 per tire. The demand is greater than the supply.

Jim