rsbilledwards

FYI Safari Owners Paint Code Info

Having been in the auto body and paint repair business for nearly forty years, now retired and having purchased a very nice 2001 Zanzibar, I found the information related to refinishing these coaches to be some what lacking and that may be an understatement. I was not able to find formulas or the color codes easily. I am sure many shops and second owners of older coaches have had this problem, particularly the Do It yourselfers. Yes the colors can be computer generated from samples but this takes time and occasionally costs money. The colors can be hand matched and this take considerable skill and time and will cost plenty. For those not in the know and with out the service packs originally supplied with each coach built by the original SAFARI coach folks information is very limited. The original OEM paint finish was Diamont, a polyester base coat/ clear coat product, a sub-sector finish by BASF. The German based BASF has been the leading producer of automotive topcoats world wide since the first Porsches were constructed in the 1950s.

These finishes were custom formulated for SAFARI by Industrial Finishes, Inc , who by the way is still in business in Oregon. By having the last 6 numbers of the vin (vehicle Identification number) one can call Allied Recreation Groups information line (800 450 6336) and request the color codes for that particular vehicle. That page in their archived material will include the paint scheme as well. The base color of the coaches was white and the other colors placed upon that. Having the color codes will enable Industrial Finishes Inc to look up the appropriate formulas in quantities of a pint, quart and gallon. In theory one could take the stock color code to their local BASF Glasurti/Diamont dealer and order the required material. I called the local supplier and yes these formulas are available in the Diamont line . According to Industrial Finishes, Inc these formulas were not formulated into the other American or European paint lines.

In a parting note to the Do It Yourself crowd. In order to achieve a finish that will last five years, a minimum of 2 mills of clear coat must be applied, a bit more if sanded and polished. An additional coat or two will greatly enhance the longevity, more than 2 extra will diminish the life of the clear coat. :rolleyes: B

Thank you!!! We have been looking to match the paint on our gold 2001 Safari Zanzibar ever since we picked it up in 2012. We WILL be able to use this information- thanks again.

Joe & Cathy

2001 Safari Zanzibar

drummergurl357.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

You can get all info on Safari from rebilledwards, anytime by hoovering over his Avatar and click on message....he's still here!