Sign in to follow this  
freestoneangler

Ford Explorer - Help, I'm Going Dinghy

Wow, I though narrowing the field of which class A was challenging enough... now we're looking to replace our 1998 Ford Explorer and I want to make sure whatever we get can be safely flat-towed. Getting into all this has me considering going back to our original plan... a 5Ver! :lol:

I have found the Motorhome website that lists the 2013 vehicles they say are flat tow safe... but see tons of info on this subject that would suggest those are not the only vehicles OK to tow. Also found REMCO which has a nice search site, but some of the results they show are a bit contradictory. And, don't even bother asking sales personnel... talk about double speak.

After looking at and researching some other makes/models, we keep coming back to the Explorer as fitting our needs best. I found the thread from "SergentMajor" and his experience getting a 2003 fitting & re-programmed for the neutral tow option...sounded like that worked out.

Does anyone else on the forum flat tow a Ford Explorer? If you can share any info about what you had to do to make it work, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Yep, a 2004 Explorer Limited V8 with a FoMoCo Supplied & Installed Neutral Tow Kit ($249 & $60 installation) behind a 1997 Safari Serengeti (Cat 3126B). Works Great.