CarolNancy

To Tow Or Not To Tow

Carol,

Assuming your Camry is and automatic, a tow dolly would be needed. Also a light package for the car.

As to whether this is the way to go depends on several factors:

How far from home do you intend to drive? How many miles a year?

Are you considering another vehicle that may be towable 4 wheels down?

We already have a tow dolly and are towing our Camry. We heard that it was cheaper for me to drive the car behind the motor home rather than tow it.

We have sold our home and we are now traveling. We had planned on RV'ing for a year or so, but now we are not sure, or at least I am not sure. I have not yet adjusted to going from a 2400 sq foot home to approx 300 sq ft motor home.

We originally started in Amarillo TX and we are now in Prescott Valley AZ. We plan on traveling on up to Oregon then depending on how everything works out, across the upper U.S. to Ohio and then south. Then we will decide where we want to settle down; depending if we make it that far.

We also saw a tow that had all 4 wheels down and may consider that depending on what we learn about "not towing or towing."

Carol

Carol,

Can't imagine anyone telling you it is cheaper to drive two vehicles when you already own a tow dolly. You will loose a little MPG in the motorhome towing, but nothing like that of driving two separate vehicles. If your coach is a diesel, the effect would be even less than if it gasoline.

The exception might be in mountains where driving separate would lessen the HP load on the coach climbing and the braking load descending.

I also value the company of my wife while we are traveling. She leisurely tends to cooking, keeping the both of us hydrated and helps keep down the boredom. We could communicate by radio, or walkie talkies, but still not like seeing each other.

As Brett mentioned the extra fuel, if any, while towing is very negligible. When we make short trips to the nearby campgrounds, she usually drives separately to avoid hooking up, but hooking up is a small chore once you get used to it.

Happy trails.

The Camry is a great car, but no longer fits your needs. Sell the Camry and get a Honda CRV...towable four down, light, reliable, and economical.

What do you mean when you say you will decide where to settle down? Does that mean a stop for the summer or winter or is this where you will end your travels? If you are in this for just one year, I would not make any rash decisions. Live with it for a year and if you settle down, you are done. If you decide to stick with it past a year, then consider going the 4 wheel down option but it isn't worth that for just a one year trial. We used a tow dolly with the car we owned when we sold the house. We loved full timing and before we were far into the second year we sold the car and the tow dolly and bought a 4WD SUV that could be towed behind the coach. We just replaced that one last year with its successor.

Forget about the effect of fuel economy, just the normal wear and tear and maintenance while driving the Camry will more than make up for any fuel savings of not towing. One oil/filter change in the Camry would buy several gallons of fuel.

I agree with Tom Butler; I wouldn't make any large investments in towing 4 down until you're sure you're in this for longer than a year. Of course, you may plan to keep the motorhome and continue to travel, just not full time.