dickandlois

Rodent Damage Control!

The damage caused by rodents of all kinds to the wiring and rubber tubing plus some other items in ones coach, towed and equipment can be costly and down right frustrating. Many of us have tried various items to deter them.

I found this information and thought I would pass it along.

TSB from Honda: rodent-deterrent tape, essentially an electrical tape treated with super-spicy capsaicin, which Honda describes as “the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili.” The tape (part number 4019-2317) is available through dealers for about $36 for a 20-meter roll, about 22 yards. You'll also find it online.

They do mention using gloves when using it and that it also can bring tears to ones eye's.

Rich.

I had a brand new pickup sitting next to my house. Went out and it would start, but would only idle, no matter what I did to the accelerator. Called the dealer, they came and put it on a trailer and took it to the shop. About an hour later, they called...squirrels had gotten in a chewed up a bunch of wiring. :angry:

I typically have an all out war with rodents ..My MH sits on gravel along the garage with woods next to us.....very rural...

On the inside of the MH, I have 3 electronic buzzers, use peppermint oil (real stuff) in 5-6 locations, use Irish Spring in 8-10 locations, have over 100 Bounce sheets (in every cabinet, closet, drawer, etc... 2 electric new "shock traps", and approx 16 sticky traps .. which I monitor every 2-3 days.. I won't use any poisons because I don't want corpses left around nor do I want to kill others in the food chain that might eat them later....

In the compartments below, I have sticky traps in every one, with approx 10 baited mouse traps... I do put one drop of bait in center of each sticky trap....

Outside by the tires under the coach, I have two baited outdoor spring loaded compartment traps.... and one or two of the "ultimate bucket traps" .... Still worry about engine area......

I usually catch several outside critters, a few inside lower compartments... and rarely one inside .... BUT they got me last fall..... found the obvious indicators when we got geographically winterized .... chewed up a sleeping bag under bed, toilet paper under sink, and left traces - had to do some extra cleaning.....Found a couple corpses that had managed to relocate their personal sticky trap so I think I got even but lucky it wasn't worse....In the market for more outside lures traps....

I am in Fla. where roof rats are prevalent and have them in my motor coach ceiling according to the exterminator.

Because of the limited space in the ceiling area, it is impossible to get snap traps in any area. Also, the only access to the ceiling area is to remove a light fixture and installation to put sticky traps and poison. I do not like the idea of poison because of the stink, but what choice does one have?

With a mirror I can see some damage to the A/C duct work already, let alone to wiring. Does anyone have any ideas as how to rid the coach of rats? I know there is probably major damage in the ceiling area if not other areas.

Looking for ideas from anyone.

High frequency transmitters appear to be ineffective according to the research I've done.

Rasino, sorry to hear of the damage like this. I would try Fresh Cab (botanical flowers ground up) it smells decent. I also used pure peppermint oil soaked onto cotton balls, placed them in a small Dixie container with a lid and poked holes in the lid. Between the two I had them placed all over the storage area and the interior. I had a small problem last year in the basement, no trace of them this year. I either got lucky or these two worked.

I would pull down a few fixtures toss the Fresh cab packets up there and see what happens. I would also place them throughout the coach just in case they decide to relocate.

I used mine as a preventative measure, not as a reactive response.

Good luck.